Things that make you say "*^%_"

HomeLAN

So, after a router swap, Unc's back online with the whole LAN. His main rig, however, won't let him into Tools/Options in IE6. You can get in through Control Panel/Internet Options, but it won't let him change thet home page in there (greyed out). When you try to access through IE, it says somehting along the lines of "access not authorized due to settings on this computer. Contact your administrator".

He's logged in as Administrator, no limitations, and I've tried repairing IE from Control, Panel/Add Rmove Programs. I figure it's software, but the only things I think he's running are Windows (2K pro), Zonealarm, a weather program, Messenger, and Distributed Folding.

Any ideas, out there?

Rob, feel free to add anything I've missed, especially proggies running in the background. Also, if anybody suggests anything and you're comfy with it, give it a shot. Just try not to melt anything. :D

Check the policy editor (I think you type "gpedit.msc" in the run box)

Go to Administrative Templates, then Windows Components. You'll find Internet Explorer (yeah, right, like it's not an application :rolleyes: ) under both the Computer Configuration and User Configuration

Its Win2kpro.

Fury, all clean and as it should be. No changes made.

Service pack 1 for IE 6. I found a few updates to d/l from microsoft hq. I'll snag 'em and see what happens.

No dice on the updates shaking anything loose... but at least I am up to date.

Background... lets see... I have the 2 instances of Distributed Folding running as well. Quicktime and Realplayer fire up on startup... but I smother those fairly quickly.

I wish I could get Quicktime to stop firing up on startup. It just started doing it one day, with no warning or provocation.

msconfig. (For Inky)

Homey, Unc. I don't have a clue, I would have thought the repair tool would have done it.

Does it even have Internet Options listed under tools? Is it grayed out? What happens when you click on it, does it act like it's going then doesn't?

Do you have Xteq X-Setup? If so, fire it up, go to Internet Explorer, System, Internet Options Dialog Restrictions. Theres a box there you can check/uncheck to allow home page changing. If they are all unchecked, you could try checking them all.

PuterTutor said:
msconfig. (For Inky)

My 5.2 version has been mcconfiged to death. It's fine & then one day, out of the blue, it's back to opening with winbloze. :shrug:

I killed it with Msconfig once, and it's gone. I think I've only got 4.something though.

So you can change the Home Page from the Control panel, but still not in IE?

I can't even access that page. I get the big "NYET, COMRADE!" and the cruel Windows BING noise of denial when I hit the Internet Options button within the IE shell itself.

Go to Start/Run/gpedit.msc I'm not at home, but I think that's the Policy editor. Look around in there for IE settings.

Man just reinstall windows, i find with IE even when a problem is solved it either comes back or causes more problems.

Back