thinking of getting/buying vBulletin.. but a plethora of questions, too

BlurOfSerenity

i know that vBulletin is what's used here, and was used on jjr512.com, and is used on some other forums i currently or used to post on.

i love the way it is and works and everything.

i also co-run the CrimsonWings forums which are currently found at www.batwing.org/forum and has many problems and such.

i was thinking of buying CrimsonWings.com, and getting vBulletin to go with it.

i currently use XMB forum. http://www.xmbforum.com/ .

but, questions!!

is it easy to move from one board host company to another, without losing the members and the posts and such? or do i need to know/learn an extraordinarily large amount of code to do so?

and, will i often find myself needing to know said code, or should it be pretty easy to get by without? i saw from running the "test" admin vbulletin panel that the colors and such can at least be modded in an easy way, and that's a lot of what i care about -- customisation.

but....

also...

anything else i'd need to know?

i was thinking of leasing it... kinda pricey, but from what i've seen, definitely worth it.

input?

"is it easy to move from one board host company to another, without losing the members and the posts and such? or do i need to know/learn an extraordinarily large amount of code to do so? "

ashr i do know you will need to know code. sometimes there are converters to switch from one type of forum to another, but with the vb3 im not sure what is all out yet. most of the problems we ran into is attachments and avatars. we lost some during a couple of conversions.

"and, will i often find myself needing to know said code, or should it be pretty easy to get by without? i saw from running the "test" admin vbulletin panel that the colors and such can at least be modded in an easy way, and that's a lot of what i care about -- customisation. "

that will depend on what you want to do. if all you want is to change colors you dont need to know much, but if you want special designs/styles and things of that nature you will have to know php.
I still dont know much, but fury is the man when iot comes to that.

The license is transferrable and you'd have access to vbulletin.com tech support.

vBulletin is very good... its also very expensive... you have a huge amount of control other the board especially if you have basic knowledge of PHP and mYSQL.

however what are you goign to be using it for?

i have almost every forum software :brush: (vBulletin is certainly the best) but XMB is a lot easier and can do most things.. its only when you get into user groups and advanced customization, speed and control that you need vBulletin.

it is very hard to make templates though for vBulletin and make them look good... so its likely you need to pay for that too :(

as for moving posts and members across boards... i dont know... i havent looked at XMB much but with some basic coding it should be easy.

you shouldnt need to know any code.. but you cant do much if u dont have a basic knowledge of php... i.e. installing hacks, adding new featurs (i guess thats a hack too).

you cant do much by just changing the colors (i tried) you need to replace a couple of 100 images, change CSS (not hard) but even after that.. if u want to make it look good you need to modify it completely, so yes you need advanced HTML and basic PHP to do much.. well... i think.

Back