This'll end up in the RW

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Family vs career. Family loses almost every time.

Guys: A word of advice. Marry pretty women or ugly ones. Short ones or tall ones. Blondes or brunettes. Just, whatever you do, don't marry a woman with a career.

Why? Because if many social scientists are to be believed, you run a higher risk of having a rocky marriage. While everyone knows that marriage can be stressful, recent studies have found professional women are more likely to get divorced, more likely to cheat, less likely to have children, and, if they do have kids, they are more likely to be unhappy about it. A recent study in Social Forces, a research journal, found that women--even those with a "feminist" outlook--are happier when their husband is the primary breadwinner.
Forbes

Translation: Marry someone with something other than Me, Me, Me in mind. Been saying that for decades, noone's listened so far. Granted, it helps if you're not having Me, Me, Me on your own mind too.

This study has one big failure that irks me. There's nothing wrong with marrying a woman with a career .... provided you don't have one yourself. Despite the stigma, there's nothing wrong with a stay home dad for a family. It all has to do with keeping a larger goal in mind...... something that's beyond most people today. It was easier back in the old days ... because that larger goal was ... survival. If you didn't work together, you were dead. People don't have that anymore.

Whaddaya wanna bet they found exactly what they expected to find before they started?

I had a career. But more importantly, I had kids to raise. I am now a stay at home mom and, although it's a freakin' tough transition, it's the best decision I have ever made.

Spirit & tonks (as well as that uncle guy), you'll never regret it (though there are days...)

Prof, when we started out, in LA, she worked & I stayed home. The mo' money syndrome. That was less than 2 months. A stay at home dad is great, except for the first year & that's gotta be a mom bonding time.

chcr-I'd be surprised. It depends on who started the study. Most want the end result to say MORE MONEY IS GOOD.

Back