Tivo, DishPVR, DirectPVR, etc

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
All wonderful ideas with one major drawback. A monthly subscription fee.
DishNetwork started off free & is now charging for the service even though, one it's hooked up, they do absolutely friggin' nothing. Talk about a majot ripofff.

So here's the plan.

Build a PVR box of my own, with a DVD burner, included.

120+GB HDD, All in Wonder (or similar) video card...

now for the question:

Assuming I can find a sound card with a digital AC3 input, would I be able to burn a movie that had AC3 (dolby digital/dts) sound to DVD?

Check your magasine stand. I saw an issue of a magasine either last month, or the one before, with everything you needed for that. They may still have a copy if you ask.

I found this while investigating. (freeware.com)

Th latest PCMag had some info regarding building one but it didn't say much(anything) about AC3.

Had one for abaout a year Gonz. I'm currently working on changing over to Linux and a little program called "Freevo." (Win2K and Cyberlink Power VCR right now) I don't have a DVD burner yet, but I use time shifting and record shows for watching later all the time.

Linus also has support for DVD burners (do yourself a favor and get a dual standards drive).

[Darth Vader] Come over to the penguin side.[/Darth Vader] :lol:

I'll go anywhere as long as I can keep the AC3 sound quality & DVD image.

Gonz said:
I'll go anywhere as long as I can keep the AC3 sound quality & DVD image.
I don't think video4linux supports All-in-Wonder cards, BTW. Oh, and keep in mind your video card doesn't have to be that great because NTSC video is only 640X480 (mines an old rage pro 8MB with TV out and works just fine). Sound and DVD quality are no problem though. You might have to hunt for a ripper.

Note: if you plan to go HDTV, you need to support up to 1200X1080i, I think. I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

I was kinda wondering about that since we're all going HD in about 24 months

Gonz said:
I was kinda wondering about that since we're all going HD in about 24 months

As I understand it, the analog stuff will still work just fine, you just won't be able to get the HD benefits. I haven't looked yet, but i"m sure there will be spcial video cards and tuner cards and your TV will have to be capable as well. Sorry, other fish to fry, I'm really not up to speed ont hdtv yet.

Nope. After (fill in date) analog will completely disappear. You'll have to buy a new TV or a tuner to downgrade the signal from digital, which seems silly.

Finally, the FCC has a page with some useful info... FCC Digital TV

Back