"To death do us part ..."

nalani

There were a million signs that my marriage wouldn't last but I had no intention of getting divorced when I got married ...you know, before all the drug use and loss of money :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Does everyone enter marriage thinking it won't last nowadays?

We entered into marriage with one expectation. Make it work.

I haven't yet read your link because my head will probably explode & I don't have any Ace bandages handy.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
We entered into marriage with one expectation. Make it work.

I haven't yet read your link because my head will probably explode & I don't have any Ace bandages handy.

It's a Geisha's "diary" talking about how she doesn't have any opportunity to meet men who might turn into a mate.

JJR512

I entered into my marriage expecting it to last forever. So far, it has. It's only been three years. But we've been "together" for ten.

But my cousin and her boyfriend also got married expecting it to last forever, never thinking it wouldn't last, thinking divorce is something that can't happen to them because they're too much in love. That was over 20 years ago. And during the last year, I've started hearing talk (amongst other family members) about a possible divorce. And that really worried me. I remember being at their wedding; I've known them nearly all my life as a happily married couple. It worried me that something that seemed so good could get to the point that divorce is being talked about as a real possibility. It worried me because I know that Dawn and I are just like they were then; we both know it's forever, just like they did back then. We both know things will never get that bad between us, just like they did back then. But it did get that bad for them, like it gets that bad for millions of other people each year who knew it would never happen to them, so...how do I know it won't end up happening to us one day?

BeardofPants

Not planning on entering that particular institution, I've already witnessed the bust up of two of my friend's marriages (both my age). Been with mine comin' up 14 years. Must be doing something right. :grinyes:

tonksy

Everyone knows Rob's view on marriage and how I am not 100% in agreement with him but one thing I have discovered from failed marriages is that it ain't the marrying part that makes you happy...and at this point that is the most important thing.

TexasRaceLady

I met my future hubby when he was 11 and I was 10. I decided right then that he was the one for me. We married in 1967 -- he was 22, I was 21.
Now, 40yrs later, we're still together --- and have no plans to change.

When we married, we decided that the first 50yrs was going to be a "trial marriage" --- we might make it permanent in 10 yrs. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Everyone knows Rob's view on marriage and how I am not 100% in agreement with him but one thing I have discovered from failed marriages is that it ain't the marrying part that makes you happy...and at this point that is the most important thing.

Or any other. :D

nalani

exactly

Winky

What the authorities persist in calling a crisis of teenage pregnancy is in fact a crisis—or absence—of marriage. Teenage birth rates have not gone up in the past several decades; they have gone down. The teenage birth rate in 1999 of 49 per 1,000 teenage girls is only 60 percent of the 1950 rate of 82 per 1,000 teenage girls. The reason the 1950 rate was not a crisis is that most of those teenage mothers were married, whereas today they are not. In 1950, only about 13 percent of births to women in the 15-19 age group were out of wedlock, whereas the figure was 79 percent in 1999.
-------------------------------------------------------
OK for those of you who don't get why that is pertinent,
the purpose of marriage is to raise a family.
When did we forget this? Biff and Steve?