Tonks, li'l help, Louisiana, New O'leans and then some...

ResearchMonkey

Well. Tonks and anyone else that has some insider info on the area.

In a thread a few days back it occured to me that; we've not been a whirlwind adventure in some time now, and that this be reason my wife has been wanting to wish me and the children away to the cornfileds.

I'm curious; last time I was there was like 20 years ago. I was young and able to maintain fairly hi-level of pollutants in my system, thus I(we) pretty much lived the night-life all day/night. My most prominant memorey of New Orleans was a girl from LaJolla named Wendy that I had met and talked into going joining us on a "road trip" ...anywhoo, thats whole 'nuther story completely ;).

Being that now I have gaggle of young girls, a wife, and we dont drink. I wonder what is in N'O'lans for us. OK, 2-days in the FQ, and one super-over-priced meal and day 'bout the river and/or delta.

....then what? ...is there much adventure to be had there? We're generally not the touristy family, we're a bit more like the Nat'l Geographic Family. We look for the real stuff, not the prepackaged lame-assed stuff. ....which is why I ask the pros, the local insight.

got any goodies for me to ponder?

ResearchMonkey said:
Well. Tonks and anyone else that has some insider info on the area.

In a thread a few days back it occured to me that; we've not been a whirlwind adventure in some time now, and that this be reason my wife has been wanting to wish me and the children away to the cornfileds.

I'm curious; last time I was there was like 20 years ago. I was young and able to maintain fairly hi-level of pollutants in my system, thus I(we) pretty much lived the night-life all day/night. My most prominant memorey of New Orleans was a girl from LaJolla named Wendy that I had met and talked into going joining us on a "road trip" ...anywhoo, thats whole 'nuther story completely ;).

Being that now I have gaggle of young girls, a wife, and we dont drink. I wonder what is in N'O'lans for us. OK, 2-days in the FQ, and one super-over-priced meal and day 'bout the river and/or delta.

....then what? ...is there much adventure to be had there? We're generally not the touristy family, we're a bit more like the Nat'l Geographic Family. We look for the real stuff, not the prepackaged lame-assed stuff. ....which is why I ask the pros, the local insight.

got any goodies for me to ponder?
hell...i been to nawlins once. i lived down da bayou yeah. but go and eat some beignets, drink some chicory and see the sites. they have tours. it's a pretty city with interesting heritage.

oh! and if you take the tour? they got this one little stretch of road that shows you exactly how below sea level you are. it's pretty cool.

Hmmm .... do tell 'bout the Bayou if'n don't mind and have a moment.

We like adventure and real Americana. The road less traveled often has the most wonderous things. We can take the usual tours by watching the travel channel.

I'm just pondering the options, whats to see (read: learn and experince) down there?

I wonder if you can hook up with a barge travelling either up or downriver. Then Americana can slowly drift by for 2 days.

the bayou can be lovely. you should see about beau bridge for the annual crawfish festival. beau bridge is the epicenter for crawfish and that festival is a good one. lots of hot mudbugs, zydeco, and alcohol and let's not forget the boudin and alligator tail :licklips:. the springtime in southern louisiana is bursting with festivals of one sort of another and the cypress in bloom are quite pretty.
if it's a mardi gras thing you might want but don't want the insanity of new orleans then i recommend mamou. it's a bit more country and family but still full of party.

I truly do prefer the local scenes, the road less traveled has the real people, now I have some leads to werk with.

Finding a good lead is so hard, everytime you do a serach that is travel related in the slightest you get "cheap-vaction-specials" that arent all that cheap or special.

Thanx.

My most prominant memorey of New Orleans was a girl from LaJolla named Wendy that I had met and talked into going joining us on a "road trip" ...anywhoo, thats whole 'nuther story completely ;)
so is this a really awesome x-rated story?

ResearchMonkey said:
My most prominant memorey of New Orleans was a girl from LaJolla named Wendy that I had met and talked into going joining us on a "road trip" ...anywhoo, thats whole 'nuther story completely ;).
Did it ever bug you that you went all the way to New Orleans and hooked up with a girl from La Jolla? ;)

It's been a long while, but I seem to remember the Pontchartrain basin being pretty interesting. Lots to see. There are lots of small towns in rural Louisiana but be prepared. They talk funny. :D

I dint meet her in N'orleans, I hooked up with her at a party in Scripps Ranch (LaJolla). Thats when the schmoozing of said hottie began, it was a fun trip.

X-rated, well, yeah, sorta. 6-7 people in two VW vans on our way to the Cabo San Lucas ferry (never did make it there that trip). I mean we were young. :shrug:

Her parents flew her home from DFW on the way back, I got the idea they wernt very happy either. Her father owned some small hotel chain called "Quality Inns". Such were the relationships during those years, I never heard from her again.

That sucks! You should have kept in touch; then you could have married rich and you wouldn't be living in Bakersfield.

I assure you, she wasn't the marry'n type :lol2:

Besides, I like where I live 'cept those few days when its 110'F. we have plenty of good things going on here for us.

Are your kids proficient with machetes to cut their way through the air on their way to and from school?

Back