Tracing IP's

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Hey Everyone! I need your help - does anyone here know how to trace an IP right down to the name of the person who owns the computer?

There's a program called Neotrace that traces it back to the location, and ISP that the person uses, from there you usually have to contact the ISP to find out who it is, or to lodge a complaint if that is your intention. I've got neotrace at home, I could trace it tonight if you want me to. Just PM me the IP.

Thanks!! ;-)

I'll have to go back up to my room and get it so I will do that later. (I am at a hotel right now).

Only the cops can actually trace it to the person, but you can contact their isp. I am not sure the isp can give out personal info without a request from the cops. At least, they shouldn't be able to in my opinion.

They can't, I tried that and so did a friend of mine. You have to have a subpaena(sp?) to get the name.

If it's a business, sometimes Neotrace will give you that, or at least who the IP is leased to. From there you can usually contact them and at least file a complaint. I've done it to someone that was trying to access my pc with the subseven trojan, and they got booted from that ISP.

Back