Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
haha

ISS Toolbag
spacer.gif

BRIGHTNESS: 6 (use binoculars)
spacer.gif

On Nov. 18, 2008, spacewalking astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper dropped her backpack-sized toolbag and it floated away from the International Space Station. The errant bag, about as big as a hiker's backpack, is now orbiting Earth. It is visible through binoculars and small telescopes.

Sharky

Heh . . . the toolbag cost NASA $100,000. I wonder if they'll take it out of her pay. :D

Thanks for the link, A.B. :cool:

Inkara1

I actually had it explained to me why the military, etc. have those $1,000 hammers. When they go out to bid, they have a very exact set of specifications, of which the ones off the shelf don't quite meet. So, they need one-offs made. Specifications being met is more important than being cheap.

GrandCaravanSE

I actually had it explained to me why the military, etc. have those $1,000 hammers. When they go out to bid, they have a very exact set of specifications, of which the ones off the shelf don't quite meet. So, they need one-offs made. Specifications being met is more important than being cheap.

I am sure that they cost alot but a TOOLBELT that is worth $100,000 i would like to see the list of the 10 tools in there.

Professur

I've got pretty tough requirements when buying my hammers too. Must be able to drive a nail. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what else would be that important. Weight ± half an oz perhaps? Vibration absorbing grip? Non magnetic, non sparking, non marring head? Still sounds just like the $20 Stanley in my toolbox.

GrandCaravanSE

I've got pretty tough requirements when buying my hammers too. Must be able to drive a nail. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what else would be that important. Weight ± half an oz perhaps? Vibration absorbing grip? Non magnetic, non sparking, non marring head? Still sounds just like the $20 Stanley in my toolbox.

Yea at most they should spend no more then $100 on anything unless it is electric something or other.

MrBishop

Yea at most they should spend no more then $100 on anything unless it is electric something or other.
Imagine your average caulking gun...pretty cheap to make. How well would it stand up to the conditions it's being placed in while in space and you'll begin to understand why it's so damn expensive.

Zero-G, temperatures ranging from -66 to +66ºC, must be handled by someone effectivly wearing gloves thicker than hockey gloves, the caulk alone has to be pressurized to a set amount so it actually crushes up against the seam but doesn't send Andy the Astronaut into space backwards. Just the material costs are something else...Titanium perhaps. It can't break while up there, because the trip back to Rona to buy another is steep.

Sharky

Imagine your average caulking gun...pretty cheap to make. How well would it stand up to the conditions it's being placed in while in space and you'll begin to understand why it's so damn expensive.

Zero-G, temperatures ranging from -66 to +66ºC, must be handled by someone effectivly wearing gloves thicker than hockey gloves, the caulk alone has to be pressurized to a set amount so it actually crushes up against the seam but doesn't send Andy the Astronaut into space backwards. Just the material costs are something else...Titanium perhaps. It can't break while up there, because the trip back to Rona to buy another is steep.

Exactly. Those are highly specialized custom-made tools designed for repairs to the ISS.

And it's a hundred grand for the whole bag of tools, not just a toolbelt, GC.

GrandCaravanSE

Exactly. Those are highly specialized custom-made tools designed for repairs to the ISS.

And it's a hundred grand for the whole bag of tools, not just a toolbelt, GC.

woops got the name of the thread "Track the toolbelt" mixed up with toolbag.