Tracphone?

I've heard that is exactly all they're good for. They are expensive & have cheap phones. If you don't have a lot of need for your phone they are a perfect fit because no matter how cheap, say, $19.99/month is, it's still more expensive than $29.99 a year.

I have heard that their time may expire...so look into that.

the time usually expires, up here anyway, but hell, you cant' get on a plan for 10-20 a month. :shrug: I think for the infrequent user, pay-as-you-go is the way to go.

I have one and use it only when I'm at a customers house or on the road, which is rare, and only when I need to order parts. My long distance at the store is really cheap so I have no real use for this phone here. I maybe use about 20 min a month or so, so I buy very little time for it. The phone I have is the Motorola V60i. It's been a great phone all around really.

Gonz said:
I have heard that their time may expire...so look into that.
60 days on TracFone. If you re-up within 60 days, your unused minutes roll over... but minutes die after one year regardless. You can buy a card with TracFone that extends the 60 days to 365... but I wouldn't recommend actually finding out the price to anyone with a heart condition.

I've had one of these phones back in jersey, they are a prepaid phone, you buy the minutes usually good at Wally World (Walmart-for those of U whom don't know Wally World) usually $18.00 bucks for 30 minutes. I wouldn't recommend this phone to anyone whom wants a cell fone type service, mostly good for those emergency type services!!! But, this is just my opinion?!?!?!?

I used one for a year and a half. Didnt really have any problems with it. Got my minutes early so they would roll over. Its just like anyother cell, some areas they work others they didnt.

samcurry said:
I used one for a year and a half. Didnt really have any problems with it. Got my minutes early so they would roll over. Its just like anyother cell, some areas they work others they didnt.

BUT, you had to buy ur minutes Right??? How much did they cost U? and where did you buy them?

inky's about got me talked into Virgin at $20 to reup every 90 days... :confused:

I'm still trying to decide though. :swing:

catocom said:
inky's about got me talked into Virgin at $20 to reup every 90 days... :confused:

I'm still trying to decide though. :swing:
I'll have to tell my boss that I'm such a good salesman I've got someone 2,000 miles away sold. :D

I've got one now. Bought the walmart model for 34.95 100 minute cards are pretty decent, 29.99 or so, plus you get a few coupons for 20 free minutes with each. I use about 40 to 50 units a month on mine, half talking and half messaging, so I'm pretty happy with it. The coverage does suck, but then I live in the hills of Missouri too. You have to stop at the top of a hill if you really want to converse on any cellphone. Mine gives me No roaming, free long distance, caller id, etc... The messaging is what I like best though. .3 units to send a message, free to recieve. We bought two more for christmas this year for our oldest two too. The looks on their faces were priceless, and they've actually done really well with them too. The girl is down to around 30 units, the boy has 90 some. What they don't realize is that we just put a great big leash on them but they are too mesmerized by it to see it.

A good way to keep kids on a leash is to get them TracFone service and make them buy their own minutes. They learn to get real frugal real fast.

As for me, I'm a little TOO frugal on my plan-based phone. I'm paying for 400 peak minutes a month. This month's just about over, and if I total up my used peak minutes, night minutes, weekend minutes, and free in-network calling minutes, it's all still less than 400. I've only used 113 peak minutes.

Oh, get this: Yesterday, the Grocery Discount Center (AKA the "dented can store") up the street from my RadioShack sold some people a Nokia TracFone and told them to go to RadioShack to get it activated for free. This would, by the way, be like the Goodyear tire shop selling someone tires and telling them to take it to the local Wal-Mart to have them put on for free. In any case, my boss grumbled but activated the phone anyway... well, he tried to. Tracfone told him the phone won't work in our area. So that means the dented can store is selling people phones that won't work and pawning off their troubles on us.

I don't go to that dented can store anymore anyway. I went there once and found out that I could go to Food 4 Less and get non-dented cans--from brands I've actually heard of!--for the same price.

man, now I'm on the fence again.. :confused:
I do like the sound of that 1 year card with tracfone.

What is roaming anyway?

Roaming is when your phone is out of your home coverage area with your provider, but you're phone works with another provider's network. Roaming deducts 2 units per minute on TracFone instead of 1 unit a minute. The phone will say on the display (well, it should) when you're roaming.

Most home areas are pretty big. Mine is pretty well the Eastern half of Missouri. You will encounter little pockets here and there where it won't be covered however. Either you get no service or you Roam. The phone I got is the Nokia 1100, no roaming charges, just the 1 unit per minute wherever you are.

PT said:
Most home areas are pretty big. Mine is pretty well the Eastern half of Missouri. You will encounter little pockets here and there where it won't be covered however. Either you get no service or you Roam. The phone I got is the Nokia 1100, no roaming charges, just the 1 unit per minute wherever you are.

What pray tell is a unit?

Nix, TracFone sells you a certain number of units at a certain price point. In general, one unit is one minute of airtime... although when the phone is roaming, one minute takes up two units. Text messages are either 1/3 or 1/2 of a unit (I forget which).

Back