Trading deadline

Stop Laughing

It's come and gone, and some details aren't totally in yet, but from what I hear the Cubs got Nomar from the Red Sox, and it didn't cost us Matt Clement! It's a huge 4 way deal involving the Cubs, Red Sox, Expos and Twins.

The Cubs first traded Justin Jones (minors) to the Twins for Doug Mientkiewich

The Cubs then traded Doug Mientkiewicz, Francis Beltran, Brendan Harris (minors), and Alex Gonzalez to the Red Sox for Nomar Garciaparra

The Red Sox then traded Francis Beltran, Brendan Harris and Alex Gonzalez to the Expos for Orlando Cabrera

Wow, what a deal! We gave up almost nothing for Nomar, one good reliever, the shortstop he's replacing and 2 minor leaguers! :D

The Texas Rangers appear to have gotten... no one.

We really could use another good arm or three, but nothing got done. Although, if I were John Hart I wouldn't have given up Kevin Mench, Laynce Nix or Adrian Gonzalez for what was on the market either. Maybe for Randy Johnson, but he's too expensive for the Rangers (Chan Ho really puts a kink on things payroll-wise) and he'd never come to Arlington anyway.

I think I could have supported a Mench-for-Brad Penny trade, though. Then we'd move Mark Teixeira into the outfield and bring Gonzalez up to play some good 1B. But Penny went to the Dodgers instead.

Oops, nevermind... we got Scott Erickson from the Mets. He had a 7.88 ERA this year (career ERA of 4.52) and was designated for assignment, which gave the Mets 10 days to trade or release him. We gave up a "minor league player to be named later." It better not be an important one.

I sure hope that 7.88 ERA was an anomaly. The last thing we need is another Chan Ho Park... although Erickson is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Back