Troops want to go home

rrfield

Well duh they want to go home, I know my brother couldn't wait to get back, no big story there...however this caught my eye...

One surprising finding in the poll is that 85 percent of those surveyed believe that the US's main mission in Iraq is to retaliate against Saddam Hussein for his role in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Numerous commissions and studies have been unable to find that Iraq played any role in the 9/11 bombings.

Link

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
85 percent of those surveyed

They must be sticking to San Francisco for participants. I've yet to meet a person who could not seperate the fact that saddam was removed for his role in terrorism, not for his role on 9/11.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Zogby....hhhmmmmmphhhh

The poll also shows that 42 percent of the troops surveyed are unsure of their mission in Iraq, and that 85 percent believe a major reason they were sent into war was “to retaliate for Saddam’s role in the Sept. 11 attacks.” Ninety-three percent said finding and destroying weapons of mass destruction is not a reason for the ongoing military action.

42, 85, 93...we're not sure what the troops said.

unclehobart

The trouble with morale is that it being a tight ass Islamic culture, the rowdy R&R bars and whorehouses just aren't there for these 19 y/o's to pop a nut. We'll be sure to invade a country with a little nightlife next time.

freako104

rrfield said:
Well duh they want to go home, I know my brother couldn't wait to get back, no big story there...however this caught my eye...

Link

I knew some had lost morale, I didnt think it was that high myself though

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
freako104 said:
I knew some had lost morale, I didnt think it was that high myself though

Well, when half the country is telling 'em they're working for BushCo & killing wimmins & chiiluns to make an evil oil baron richer, what can you expect?

freako104

Gonz said:
Well, when half the country is telling 'em they're working for BushCo & killing wimmins & chiiluns to make an evil oil baron richer, what can you expect?

I think it is probably more than that Gonz

unclehobart

The troops are a tool. Their feelings are a non-issue. They are grown men and women. Its time to stop holding mommys widdle hand and suck up a little discipline and duty.

Professur

Rob!!! how horrible. They're not just drones. They're people. They have feelings. They have dreams. *snicker* They have the *wheeze* the right to ignore the responsabilities *gasp* that they took on *sputter* whenever it's inconvienient.*chortle*

Damnit. I thought I could say it with a straight face.

flavio

Banned
There's short limits on phone calls home and long lines to make them, little base leave, constant attacks, buddies wounded/dead, benefits cut, and they're told repeatedly that they are going home only to find the stay extended. I can understand a little frustration

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
unfortunately they gave all that up. my brother found that out. so he decided to try the awol routine. they caught up with him and made him sit in the brig. lesson learned, remember kiddies you are GOVT. property when you sign the dotted line.
You can be frustrated all you want but your done when they say your done and not a second sooner.

rrfield

I'm surprised by how uninformed the troops are. I know my brother is not that way, I guess I expected others to know the issues as well.

chcr

Too cute for words
flavio said:
Maybe real dates when they'll go home and one tour if that's all they want?
My son just got back. He knew when he was going to go (it was his third tour in the gulf) he knew when, barring unforseen complications, he'd be home. He knows when he's going next (but he's trying to get transferred back to Japan). The two minute phone calls are a pain in the ass, but once again it's not as bad as the left wants you to believe. I suspect the whiners are a very small group and that someone with a political agenda picked up the story and is trying to spoon-feed it to us.

The war is, however, hardly the resounding success the the administration wants you to think it is either though.

catocom

rrfield said:
I'm surprised by how uninformed the troops are. I know my brother is not that way, I guess I expected others to know the issues as well.
I'd like to see 'exactly' how the question was posed to them.
Sounds like it could have been like some of the poll questions.

EDIT: Aah, I follower the S&S link....
John Zogby, CEO of the polling company, said the poll was funded through Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, which received money for the project from an anonymous, anti-war activist, but neither the activist nor the school had input on the content of the poll.