TV Quotas

Jeslek

Banned
Scientific American (March 2003) has an interesting article concerning TV quotas around the world. Many countries limit the amount of air time that American productions are allowed to have on television. In fact:

- In Canada, 60% of all TV programs must be Canadian content.

- In the European Union, 60% of all TV programs must be European content, and member nations can further control it. For example, of the 60%, France stated that 40% must be French content. (40% of the grand total, not 40% of the 60%)

- In South Korea, 80% must be Korean content.

- In Australia, 55% must be Australian content. This does not apply between midnight and 6 a.m. though.

- In South Africa, 55% of public television, 35% of commercial television, and 8% of subscription television are reserved for South African content.

Video on Demand, satelite TV, and other newer technologies are making it difficult for governments to enforce this. What is your opinion on quotas?

In my opinion, they are a bad thing. I don't need people in Ottawa to tell me what I can watch and what I can't watch. That is one reason why I have two satelite systems (one American and one Canadian), because the Canadian systems are not allowed to carry a lot of the bigger U.S. networks.

Quotas suck, we have completely foreign channels on our cable service. We don't have a problem with that and i don't think anybody is complaining either.

Back