Twilight?

GrandCaravanSE

i went to see the twilight movie, because some friends wanted to go... oh. my. god, that has to have been one of the worst movies i've ever seen in my life. like, it was technically terrible. and i don't know if it was supposed to be as hilarious as it was... like, every time edward glared dramatically, everyone in the theater burst into laughter. my one friend thinks this was the reaction the movie was going for, but i'm not so sure.

even though you might of liked it the wrong way, try reading the books first.

hey, tonksy i started to read the first books, so far so good.

BlurOfSerenity

even though you might of liked it the wrong way, try reading the books first.

i did try! (see post #12) i bought the first book before the last two even came out, and the movie wasn't happening yet, and i tried to read it and was just bothered by the writing style...
i mean, it's really hard for me to get into a book anyway, so its' not like i devour books and just couldn't get into this one; i'm known for getting a few chapters into a book and just not ever picking it up again. but for this one, it wasn't an indifferent failure to continue, it was a decisive cutting-off of my involvement with it.

... kinda like my mom and danielle steel. something about the style, she just can't deal with it. tons of people like it, and that's fine and dandy, but it's just not for her.

amusingly, one of my friends who i saw the movie with, who once went on a half-hour long rant to my other friend about why vampires are dumb, has turned into a rabid twilight fan. we saw the movie on sunday, and she just finished the second book last night. she's addicted!

GrandCaravanSE

i did try! (see post #12) i bought the first book before the last two even came out, and the movie wasn't happening yet, and i tried to read it and was just bothered by the writing style...
i mean, it's really hard for me to get into a book anyway, so its' not like i devour books and just couldn't get into this one; i'm known for getting a few chapters into a book and just not ever picking it up again. but for this one, it wasn't an indifferent failure to continue, it was a decisive cutting-off of my involvement with it.

... kinda like my mom and danielle steel. something about the style, she just can't deal with it. tons of people like it, and that's fine and dandy, but it's just not for her.

amusingly, one of my friends who i saw the movie with, who once went on a half-hour long rant to my other friend about why vampires are dumb, has turned into a rabid twilight fan. we saw the movie on sunday, and she just finished the second book last night. she's addicted!

Oh, i missed that, i do agree it is kinda hard to get use to the writing style after reading Mitch Alboms books. not that you read them before but i did so there is a signifcant difference.

Wacky Nacky

I think some people require much too much of a simple work of fiction. It's made to be read and enjoyed not held up to a magnifying glass and picked apart for it's inconsistencies. It's a story, a silly campy story that amuses the reader...a fake one, a contrived one, a wholeheartedly unlikely and unrealistic...even corny piece of fiction. It's supposed to be fun.
Not everyone is Tolkien and not everyone should be :shrug:

Although I do agree with the dreamt up sexual fantasy basis. I wish my dreams were so vivid.
Nods, this, this!

I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen pictures for it. Everyone looks like death warmed over. I thought the vampires pretty much blended in, except they were far more beautiful than the humans?!

I have read the books, and I loved them. The books turned me into an avid anti-werewolf person. I didn't much care for the Jake storyline, and would've preferred he drop out of the series after New Moon, or at least, been dropped as a major character after New Moon.

I have to say, of my friends, I'm the only one who doesn't feel Edward is abusive, simply because I allow for artistic licenses. Yes, if he existed in real life, and someone in real life did the same stuff he did, it'd be rather creepy and stalkerish, but as it's in fiction, that doesn't really matter. Kind of like, how it's okay for a stranger to tell another stranger, "You can do more with your life," in a book without being seen as 'creepy,' by the other characters.

I did find some of the things irksome. Like how the vampires sparkled in sunlight was a lame idea, coupled with the never-sleeping fact. Seriously, wouldn't you get bored after 200 years of being awake?! Also: Why are they going to high school? Haven't they already learned everything there is to learn? Or, is this the first time they've been to high school in a while?

I did like learning of Bella's power in book 4, and I felt it suited her personality. I definitely concur on the characters of the book: Bella is a blatant Mary Sue, and Edward is Ms. Meyer's dream lover/significant other. That doesn't make Edward stalkerish to me, however it does kind of paint Ms. Meyer as clingy, considering Bella wants Edward to stay with her almost every waking moment of every day.