UGH I hate CD drives

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So, my drive reads the CD that's in when windows starts no problem...if I change the CD it will eventually, after much waiting show the contents...but the CD name isn't changing in windows explorer...I had a music CD in when I started up and then I took it out and put microsoft office in...it sees the files (finally) but the name of the CD is still "audio CD". Any help would be appreciated.

I'm curious to know who HP's supplier for laptop CD drives is since you said this is the second drive the computer's had.

WHY are you, the person I was talking to on MSN and was NO HELP, the ONLY person to reply? :(

Probably your drive is going for a shit. Have a nice day.

Try this. Go into windows explorer. Right click on the drive and select "eject" from the menu. Then insert the new cd.

Nope...reads the files but the name is still office XP..I have a music CD in now...*sigh* I hardly ever use my CD drive...yet this is the second one in 2 years!!!

Nixy said:
Nope...reads the files but the name is still office XP..I have a music CD in now...*sigh* I hardly ever use my CD drive...yet this is the second one in 2 years!!!

It could be your windows. If it reads fine, give it a cleaning, and let it ride. External ones cost peanuts these days.

Professur said:
It could be your windows. If it reads fine, give it a cleaning, and let it ride. External ones cost peanuts these days.

Give what a cleaning?? The drive?? :eyebrow:

Nixy said:

*sigh* Lye soap!!! what the hell do you think?? A q-tip and alcohol (high purity, and not much) to the lens. That's the glassy bit on the arm that goes back and forth.

OK, I'll have to get some alcohol then...now, I can see how this is easy enough in a laptop but how would one do such a thing for a regular drive?

Very carefully.

You'd go to radio shack and buy a CD with a tiny brush on it, and put a tiny amount of alcohol on it and run it in the drive.

Professur said:
Very carefully.

You'd go to radio shack and buy a CD with a tiny brush on it, and put a tiny amount of alcohol on it and run it in the drive.

ah, but would I really have to go all the way to the states to a RadioShack?

Nixy said:
ah, but would I really have to go all the way to the states to a RadioShack?

Yes, Radioshack is the only place in the world which supplies these discs!!!

As for what to do with a desktop drive, you huck it and buy a new one because they are so bloody cheap!

Actually, you can get these drive cleaners at just about any electronics store

Professur said:
While you're there, pick up some attitude adjustment and respect.

*ruffles Prof's hair* ooooh so cute *pinches Prof's cheeks*

Radioshack left Canada months ago :p

*hijacks thread*

I have this 'comes with the computer' speaker set. I was trying to watch something, and came to find that there was no XVid, no DivX, no nuttin on here. So I got those, video is now hunky dory, but there is no sound. :cuss:

So I go get GSpot, and it tells me I need the Dolby ac3 codec. So I go get that, from sourceforge, and now, unless I have cd audio muted in the windows sound panel, there is a terrible horrible crackling from the speakers. I've never yet used the CD player.

Is there something I didn't do? Or should I just uninstall the last codec and live without it?

Back