Ultra ATA 100 harddrive, Ultra DMA 33 Mobo

pc_builder

I also posted this at HWC.

I read in another thread that ultra ata and ultra dma are the same thing. So I know that part.

My question is this. Will an Ultra ATA 100 harddrive work on a motherboard that only supports Ultra DMA 33?

I know I have to get the 80 wire cable.

The drive is a Seagate U Series 5
Model: ST340823A
5400 RPM
40 GB

The Motherboard is a Jetway 7ZXAN

Also, when upgrading a bios, is it possible for a bios to be upgraded to support UDMA 66 & 100? Or is that a hardware limitation?

pc_builder said:
I also posted this at HWC.

I read in another thread that ultra ata and ultra dma are the same thing. So I know that part.

My question is this. Will an Ultra ATA 100 harddrive work on a motherboard that only supports Ultra DMA 33?

I know I have to get the 80 wire cable.

The drive is a Seagate U Series 5
Model: ST340823A
5400 RPM
40 GB

The Motherboard is a Jetway 7ZXAN

Yep, it'll just run a dma 33 speeds. I don't think it even needs a 80 conductor cable.

pc_builder said:
Also, when upgrading a bios, is it possible for a bios to be upgraded to support UDMA 66 & 100? Or is that a hardware limitation?

Hardware.

pc_builder said:
I don't need the 80 conductor cable to run at dma 33?
Nope, only 66 or higher. In fact, some older DMA 33 boards won't accept one. One hole is filled in.

Ok. I have another motherboard that supports dma 100. And I have another ata 100 harddrive. I DO need the 80 conductor cable for that one, right?

pc_builder said:
Ok. I have another motherboard that supports dma 100. And I have another ata 100 harddrive. I DO need the 80 conductor cable for that one, right?

Yep.

Back