US woman dies of water intoxication

highwayman

anybody ever hear of anything like this?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070114/2/1228q.html
A 28-year-old woman has died of water intoxication after taking part in a Californian radio station's water drinking contest.

She was in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" competition trying to win a Nintendo Wii video game system.

Assistant Sacramento County Coroner Ed Smith said a preliminary investigation found evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death".

Jennifer Strange's mother found her daughter's body at her home on Friday in the Sacramento suburb of Rancho Cordova, California, after Strange called her supervisor at her job to say she was heading home in terrible pain.

highwayman

Have heard of people behaving like they were drunk but it looks to me something happened, no way it could have been poisoning...

Starya

It is called "poisoning", what really happens is that the in your body is washed out and not replaced - as there is no salt in the water coming in.

Edited to add a better quick explanation:
In medicine, water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by a very rapid intake of water.
http://www.answers.com/topic/water-intoxication

highwayman

Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. What I had in mind when poisoning was brought up had been intentinal adding of another substance into the water such as strictnine or other forms of poison and not the water itself causing the harm or damage...

unclehobart

Sarcasm come through nice and clear there?

Under the terms of the contest, I would have expected a bladder perforation or some kind of kidney injury before an outright water intoxication death.

Dave

Sarcasm come through nice and clear there?

Under the terms of the contest, I would have expected a bladder perforation or some kind of kidney injury before an outright water intoxication death.

nah. the bladder is pretty flexible. can expand quite a bit. cathed a guy once that had a retention problem for a couple of weeks, drained out a bit over 7 liters.

Inkara1

Look out for that dihydrogen monoxide... it can spread cholera and other such diseases, it can cause intoxication deaths, it can cause slips and falls, etc.

A.B.Normal

Wonder how long it takes for the lawsuit?
There would more than likely have been a waiver that needed to be signed prior to her entering the contest and since she voluntarily drank the water( i.e. it wasn't poured into her mouth) I can't see the Station being responsible.

MrBishop

The End doesn't have a morning show anymore and lists only 4 DJs on their whole lineup... they won't be around long enough to sue at this rate.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
The End doesn't have a morning show anymore and lists only 4 DJs on their whole lineup... they won't be around long enough to sue at this rate.

How much you want to bet that that station is owned by...say...Viacom? Most 'local' stations are owned by national chains...;)