Video games...

Next gen? Hell, we've been playing computer war games for years.

Not for me. The only video games I play are my Dirt Track Racing games. Maybe I can be a racecar superstar when i grow up.

Not for me. The only video games I play are my Dirt Track Racing games. Maybe I can be a racecar superstar when i grow up.

I don't see why not. :D This was mostly a thought about the most popular games, though. Ever notice how much killing goes on? I've racked up a rather large bodycount in Halo 1, 2, and 3. And I'm not that good. And games are getting more 'realistic'...

Ever try Battlefield 2142?

I've been playing Hellgate: London and Flatout: Ultimate Carnage lately so I guess that makes me a qualified demon slayer and race driver.

One of my old favorites, especially when I was really in a foul mood was, Soldier of Fortune, and Later Soldier of Fortune II. Excellent graphics and when you get a headshot the guys head expleded, a gut shot, and guts spilled to the floor and a legshot and he'll be screaming and hopping on one leg.

15099_2.jpg

The video on this page, gives a good show of what I mean about what these games are like....

And here is one reason sometimes it's hard for me to stomach, "bleeding heart liberals". Many of them won't let their boys have toy guns, even squirt guns. Violence is a part of human nature, and if you don't abuse a child and teach him that its not ok to use violence to get his way, or to bully others, or essentially any time except, appropriate times (ie soldiers at war, self defense, and defense of another who cannot defend themself), than he should be ok.

Personally if my 8 year old (I don't have one, but if I did) wanted to play something like "Medal of Honor", or one of those pussy games where you gun down the enemy and its sanitary (they just fall limp with no blood), I would not allow it. I'd go pick him up a copy of Soldier of Fortune, and have a talk with him about it and say have fun dude, this game is AWESOME. I'd want him to know if he ever serves his contry and has to go to war, that that would be the only time it's really appropriate to do this kind of thing in real life.

I personally would much rather have a realistic depiction for my son, than let him get the idea that killing is just good clean fun. I see no big issue with exercising this natural part of human nature, so long as you do it in a way that is, safe and appropriate, and a pretend game is fine by me.

Actually he could play Medal of Honor and I'd have no problem with it at all, because of the historical signifgance of what is depicted, but only after he finishes something like SOF, and I tell him why some people are so pathetic they want to sell a game of violence but too scared to tell it like it is.

Even without the benefit of the preceding three posts, I'll venture a guess and decide to stay out of the video game = real world violence debate. As I said, I only play one type. It has yet to make me want to broadslide my truck around a curve on the side of the mountain though...

Even without the benefit of the preceding three posts, I'll venture a guess and decide to stay out of the video game = real world violence debate. As I said, I only play one type. It has yet to make me want to broadslide my truck around a curve on the side of the mountain though...

I tried out the MotoGP and Superbike games and it's nothing like the real thing. :shrug:

No you might Gonz, but that's not my problem.

Well actually it works both ways, but that's neither here nor there....

If you're going control the weapons, should you not control the medium that teaches one the tactical use of, and the psycological emotional preparedness of the process? While guns may kill people, games train them to be more efficient and raises the bar for the highest score.

Shouldn't we be playing games that promote a better world. That do not reinforce the behavior, train the cognitive process with euphoric feelings developing skills that promote the killing and/or destruction of humans.

Maybe, just restrict games from the felons and those under 18, or just law-enforcement?

.... because of the historical signifgance of what is depicted,

...gee dad, I see why we lost WW2, we couldn't even get even get on the beach.

I KNOW my 10 year old knows more about the geo-politics, weaponary, social impact and the 'players' of WW1, WW2 from books, documentarys, movies and talking with people that lived in that period, than anyone EVER learned from playing a game.

...but that also requires a constant effort on the parents part.

Back