Vietnamese Hot Sauce

Sharky

My neighbor gave me a bottle of the most incredible hot sauce I have ever tasted. And the key word here is tasted. There is no overwhelming vinegar flavor - you can actually taste the garlic and chilies in it.

It's called Tuong Ot Sriracha. It is the hot sauce of the gods. :cool:

Have you ever tried it, and if so, what did you think?

What is your favorite hot sauce?

That stuff kicks ass!! :headbang:

Been using it for years. I bought a 28-oz bottle in Chinatown a couple of years back for only $2.39 and I still use it. (Probably should replace it at this point, I suppose.) It's great with hushpuppies. :cool:

i use cholula on most stuff, it's got a good flavor and is readily available.
cholula.jpg

abooja said:
That stuff kicks ass!! :headbang:

Been using it for years. I bought a 28-oz bottle in Chinatown a couple of years back for only $2.39 and I still use it. (Probably should replace it at this point, I suppose.) It's great with hushpuppies. :cool:

Oh, wow, on hushpuppies . . . never thought of that! :licklips: *makes mental note to try it*

I've been using that stuff for a few years now. It also goes great with fries. Not really hot, it can kick up the ketchup without overpowering it.

BeardofPants said:
What are hushpuppies? [/furriner]

I love periperi sauce. :licklips:

Basically, leftover cornbread batter deep-fried. They used to give it to the dogs to keep them from barking, hence the term 'hush puppy'...

Gato_Solo said:
Basically, leftover cornbread batter deep-fried. They used to give it to the dogs to keep them from barking, hence the term 'hush puppy'...

Don't forget the chopped onions . . .

Arf arf!! *begs*

Gato_Solo said:

Ugh. So essentially, it's deep-fried batter? That's it?? Yuck. I avoid most deep fried foods cos it has that really "heavy" taste to it.

BeardofPants said:
Ugh. So essentially, it's deep-fried batter? That's it?? Yuck. I avoid most deep fried foods cos it has that really "heavy" taste to it.

The trick is to use peanut oil, very hot. The 'pups come out crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. It's an art form. :swing:

I've used that stuff for years too. I love it! I wish they would sell it in a smaller bottle though.

I am also a HUGE fan of Cholula. It's a bit difficult to get here as the grocery store always sells out of it, but it is so worth finding it. I drown my omlettes in it.

I use a hot sauce made in Russia called the "colonator", they also have special jalapeno sauce called the "yoohoo rocket"...

Good stuff.

Gonz said:
*can't imagine any asian hot sauce that wouldn't melt titanium*
Sriracha is indeed hot, but it's not so hot that it numbs your taste buds to the point where you can't pick up on it's flavors, or the flavors of the food. That's the beauty of it. :cool:

PrincessLissa said:
I've used that stuff for years too. I love it! I wish they would sell it in a smaller bottle though.

I am also a HUGE fan of Cholula. It's a bit difficult to get here as the grocery store always sells out of it, but it is so worth finding it. I drown my omlettes in it.

Another vote for Cholula! :cool:

IDLEchild said:
I use a hot sauce made in Russia called the "colonator", they also have special jalapeno sauce called the "yoohoo rocket"...

Good stuff.

Not gonna ask . . . :lloyd:

i like diced jalapeno in my hush puppies...:licklips:
BoP- if you ever try them make sure that you are or the person making them is from below the mason-dixon line.....it's kinda like ice tea. never trust yankee tea.

Sharky said:
The trick is to use peanut oil, very hot. The 'pups come out crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. It's an art form. :swing:

Canola does a fair job, too. Hot is the key, though.

tonksy said:
i like diced jalapeno in my hush puppies...:licklips:
BoP- if you ever try them make sure that you are or the person making them is from below the mason-dixon line.....it's kinda like ice tea. never trust yankee tea.
~ahem~ I beg to differ. I was born and bred in NYC and I'd venture to say that my hushpuppies rival any southerner's (particularly since I got the basic recipe from Paul Prudhomme :p ). I add jalapenos, green onions, and sometimes a bit of crumbled bacon as well. Doesn't it count that I dated a guy from Baton Rouge for five years? :nerd:

Back