Violence for no reason...

spike

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A 10-year-old boy was convicted Thursday in the beating of a homeless Army veteran that left the man so severely injured he had to undergo reconstructive surgery.

Prosecutors say the boy, another 10-year-old and Jeremy Woods, 17, ganged up on John D’Amico, 58, as he and a friend walked through a Daytona Beach neighborhood on March 27.

Circuit Judge John Watson found the boy guilty Thursday of aggravated battery and set sentencing for May 24. The boy, who appeared in court in shackles and an oversized jumpsuit, could be held in the juvenile system until he turns 21, depending on the sentencing decision.

The other 10-year-old pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery and faces up to a year in juvenile detention when he is sentenced June 18. He has been released to an aunt in Michigan.

Woods has been charged with aggravated battery and faces up to 15 years in state prison if convicted. He has pleaded not guilty.

D’Amico has undergone numerous operations since the attack, including reconstructive surgery to his face.

I'm sure he had some bad childhood if he's doing this at 10. The parents should certainly be looked into.

Professur

Want to put an end to it? Get 90% of that shit off the TV, get Rap off the radio, and chuck the playstation, xbox or whatever the fuck it's called today into the bin.

Then since you're not wasting your time with that, take the little fuck out camping or something, instead of leaving him playing with a 17 year old.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Want to put an end to it? Get 90% of that shit off the TV, get Rap off the radio, and chuck the playstation, xbox or whatever the fuck it's called today into the bin.

Then since you're not wasting your time with that, take the little fuck out camping or something, instead of leaving him playing with a 17 year old.

That would require something todays young adults don't have enough of...responsibility. Parenting is the ultimate responsibility, and this is what happens when you don't have enough...

spike

Yeah right. Blame it on watching TV, listening to rap, and playing video games even though there's millions of kids who do these things and don't beat up homeless people.

Not to mention there's no mention that this particular kid does any of the them.

Completely rational :rolleyes:

Professur

Yeah right. Blame it on watching TV, listening to rap, and playing video games even though there's millions of kids who do these things and don't beat up homeless people.

Not to mention there's no mention that this particular kid does any of the them.

Completely rational :rolleyes:

Spike, next time, you might want to consider actually reading right to the end of the post.

Professur

Which means you still aren't getting it. Try one more time. It you don't get it then, I'll take you by the hand and explain it step by step.

'kay?

2minkey

bootlicker
Ain't Fords made in Michigan? :p

i keep my old ford ID badge carefully hidden...

yeah, michigan is bad but it beats indiana, the true "armpit of america."

oh yeah, and they should drag the little fucker through a field behind a truck. then shoot him.

and again we're faced with a recurring theme - how to explain the radical selfishness of little shits like the 10 year old. an apparent lack of "responsibility," right, but that's a effect. what's underneath?

spike

Which means you still aren't getting it.

Ok, when you say "since you're not wasting your time with that" do you mean wasting your time watching TV, listening to rap, or playing video games instead of camping? Or do you mean wasting time blaming tv, rap, and videogames?

MrBishop

Straw man - a lot of people around here collect them and like to show them off every once i a while.... how about we actually discuss the situation.

You have a kid (10), who's hanging around with a 17 year old. That they know each other isn't the fault of the parents... they may well have met in school. :shrug:

10 year olds will look up to older kids... the 17 year old took advantage of this.

He (17) decided to take his anger out on some homeless dude for whatever reason. The 10 year old got misdemeanor battery - which means that he may have just tossed in a kick (maybe) just to 'fit in'.

For all we know, this kid (10) has good parents, a stable home life, doesn't listen to rap, play XboX or any other of the handy straw-men arguments out there.

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong reaction. He'll pay for it...and hopefully come out of it OK.

~end

MrBishop

Want a flip side to the 'what if?' argument?

This 'war-vet' is a child molester, and makes a grab for one of the 10 year olds' asses. The 17 year old sees this and steps in to protect the kid..and they go overboard a little...the old pervert deserved it! No harm, no foul.

See how easy it is to twist a situation when you don't have all the information.

MrBishop

And the victim? Or do we not care about that so long as the kid comes out OK?
Tow of the kids are 10 years old - not terribly easy to throw away two lives over what amounts to stupidity.

I touched upon that - it fell in between your post somehow. In the meanwhile, not only is the victim getting 'justice served', but free reconstructive and plastic surgery.

Hey - I didn't say that I didn't feel bad for the victim...I'm just ticked at how quickly the strawman arguments came out.

BB

And the victim? Or do we not care about that so long as the kid comes out OK?

Interesting.

Was the system ever set up for the Victim?

and ... is that something you would actually advocate, Professionally?

(With all it entails?)

Curious - mind, i know not how the system varies from here to there...