vog shmog

kuulani

L.A. has smog, we here in Hawaii have vog.
It's like smog, except the pollution comes from the volcano.

Yesterday's vog was so bad, my poor daughter had a really mean asthma attack. :(

I had to put her on her nebulizer & I felt so sorry for her :crying4:

tonksy said:
ick. is it more visible?
From what I experienced in my brief stay, its almost like driving down the highway when the road crews are burning all kinds of brush. You get that smoky heaviness without the warning of true smell.

Ku'u... get [sp?] Kaipo to tell me his chicken soup recipe. I thought about it all through December. That was the most striking soup I ever had.

One doesn't tend to hear soup described as 'striking'. Was it really striking?

its very striking.
he makes it every new year's eve.
i crave it for the entire year & eat a year's worth that night :D

i don't think you can duplicate it in georgia though.
you need a calamungay (sp?) tree.
it's a filipino thing :D

ku'u - one of my profs took a pic of it yesterday morning as she was landing at Hilo Airport .. man .. i can't believe how bad it is ... I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but I can even TASTE the sulphur outside ...

Rob - are you talking about the New Year's soup that he makes? *mouth waters, missing it already though it's only been a mere 3 weeks since we had it*

I am. :D He mentioned the kulumungai (sp?) ... lemongrass dealy.... seriously yummy.

chicken
rice
50 gallons of water
god knows what else.

I had 5 bowls.

unclehobart said:
I am. :D He mentioned the kulumungai (sp?) ... lemongrass dealy.... seriously yummy.

chicken
rice
50 gallons of water
god knows what else.

I had 5 bowls.

the best part? You could actually eat it without making changes to the recipe :D

New Years isn't New Years without his soup ... that's for sure.

unclehobart said:
chicken
rice
50 gallons of water
god knows what else.

I had 5 bowls.

hmm ... off the top of my head
onions
tomatoes
and, of course, kalamungay (the leaves).

note - looking for "kalamungay" on google, it seems that the english word for it is "horseradish". i wonder if that's the same plant that's used to make the horseradish you would use on prime rib?

I aksed Kaipo what was in it while eating it and he mentioned lemongrass. He said it was a very basic Phillipine dish that isn't seen very much on the east coast because of its 'nesian spices.

lemongrass is different from kalamungay. lemongrass grows right by aunty pua's garage. kaipo's kalamungay tree is off in the back, kinda where the bonfire was :D

kuulani said:
note - looking for "kalamungay" on google, it seems that the english word for it is "horseradish". i wonder if that's the same plant that's used to make the horseradish you would use on prime rib?

kuulani said:
kaipo's kalamungay tree is off in the back, kinda where the bonfire was :D

Nope ,the Horseradish you put on Prime rib is a root vegetable like a carrot or radish.

http://www.hoolokahi.net/lori.html

Kalamungay

* This Filipino plant is made into a tea and used to relieve gout symptoms and increase overall wellness.

lori7.jpg

The horseradish is a hairy perennial with wavy, indented leaves and small white flowers. The plant grows to a height of 60–90 cm/2–3 ft and has a thick taproot. It originated on the borders of Europe and Asia.

Hardy perennial plant, native to southeastern Europe but naturalized elsewhere. The thick cream-coloured root is strong-tasting and is often made into a savoury sauce to accompany food. (Armoracia rusticana, family Cruciferae.)

1929n067.jpg

Back