watching old movies

unclehobart

I was just sitting here letting one of the lesser HBO channels go by with its morning lineup when up should pop an old early 80s ninja movie. It was one that had seen at least three times as a 13 year old and loved it for being 'very cool'. Seeing it now I recognize it for the low budget, poorly premised, horribly acted, sloppy martial arts movie that it was... but I was still drawn to it like a moth to the flame.

i love old movies...there was a period of time when i was running a restaurant and was not home often...we cancelled our cable tv and would head to the library and check out movies....inevitably all very old movies...black and whites...i have tons of favorites....holiday, the faces of dorian grey, any musical- i love musicals :blush:, anything with gene kelly, from here to eternity, anything with frank sinatra....marilyn movies....i love marilyn movies...but generally for the other cast members...some like it hot is great...how to marry a millionaire....i still like to watch old movies.

unclehobart said:
I was just sitting here letting one of the lesser HBO channels go by with its morning lineup when up should pop an old early 80s ninja movie. It was one that had seen at least three times as a 13 year old and loved it for being 'very cool'. Seeing it now I recognize it for the low budget, poorly premised, horribly acted, sloppy martial arts movie that it was... but I was still drawn to it like a moth to the flame.

Well? What movie was it? "Tower of the Drunken Dragon"? "Iron Monkey"? "Gymkata"? :grumpy:

Gato_Solo said:
Well? What movie was it? "Tower of the Drunken Dragon"? "Iron Monkey"? "Gymkata"? :grumpy:

gymkata

I saw that in theatres, I thought it was amazing, until I sawq it a few years ago.

the lesson I learnt was some things are better left as childhood memories.

like robotech, downloaded some, the animation is HORRIBLE

I love old Hong Kong movies - guess I'm a bit of a Jackie Chan & Bruce Lee fan :D

And I love watching old movies like Ben Hur and Jason and the Argonauts etc.......but I hate made for TV movies with a passion.

tonks said:
*groan* ....robotech......

Hey, now. That was one of my favorites. Still is. I've got all but 2 DVD's now. Just remember...Robotech was the one series that brought Japanimation to the forefront. Without Robotech's following, there'd be no 'Dragonball Z'. :grumpy:

Gato_Solo said:
Hey, now. That was one of my favorites. Still is. I've got all but 2 DVD's now. Just remember...Robotech was the one series that brought Japanimation to the forefront. Without Robotech's following, there'd be no 'Dragonball Z'. :grumpy:
i was just groaning at the flashback of a young tonky and pals with the robotech.....i was such a goober at times.....

Gato_Solo said:

I like anime

but I hate dragonball

it's about repressed homosexuality, and scientology

I don't remember which movie it was. What I do remember of it was that it was set in Los Angeles and the main bad guy was a white boy ninja secretly importing herion in through fake pottery that the good guy ninja was brokering as a legit businessman without knowing it. There was also a mafia boss and his 'family'. Many smokebombs and hidden weapons. The final fight was on a rooftop tennis court and near a jacuzzi.

Back