We all love to die

IDLEchild

After watching Ray Charles win 7 grammy awards after his death I started wondering: Why are we so fascinated by death and so entrenched in honoring the dead?

Is it something intrinsic like the urge to survive? Or like religion, started early in human history but not a built mechanism into the human mind?

Is it because death is the final unknown? One mystery which is incapable of being solved untill it is too late? Well that may explain the morbid fascination humanity has with death, but what about the fascinating, detailed rituals societies have to honor those who have passed? Why be so meticulious and thorough with death rituals?

In the age of primitive cave men how were the dead dealt with? They couldn't have been nearly as concerned as the Egyptians...who seemingly were born so they could prepare to die.

Fast forward to today's Western society. We aren't nearly as devoted or as concise with our death process to honor the dead, yet still. It is almost criminal to overlook the dead or say anything negative about those who have recently passed. Someone who could have been a peon all of his/her life, earning zero respect for the individual they were, are suddenly put on a holy pedastal for a week or two. So it is harder to respect a person when alive? Thier death warrants a closer inspection into their lives so their relatives and coworkers could find good things to say about them...why not this much effort when they were living? They would be a lot more appreciative of the effort. Why?

What is about death that brings out this, almost illogical, attitude in humanity? I am not saying it is an useless act, a waste of time, but I don't understand the taboo atmosphere around it. The dead die (duh!) but do we feel as if we must keep honoring them, keep being respectful even when we feel that maybe there just wasn't that much to the person who died. Or that some maybe be glad that the certain person died.

I'm afraid to die! The unknown scares the shit out of me, and to sit and think once you die.....YOU NEVER COME BACK!!!!! That's it, our gone. Reincarnation.....not sure what to believe about that????
As for honoring ppl when they die, funerals and viewings (rituals), personally, they are a way to ease our sorrow, comfort us as you might say...to see a person for the last time and say what you might have never gotten the chance to say, even if they don't hear you, in your subconscience, you feel you might be getting some closer. But, this is all just my opinion.....

I think its the whole...

"This is life? This is it?... Oh man!"

kinda thing... I'd rather die later than sooner because I at least wanna try a do summit decent!

I think the reverence we hold for the dead is due to links with the supernatural and religion... we're afraid of what may be unleashed onto us or what may happen to the dead in the "after life" if certain care isn't taken!

I am not in the least afraid of dying. Oh, I'm not exactly looking forward to it or anything, but the fear of death is not in me.

Wonder why? Must be some fairy tale I suppose...

SouthernN'Proud said:
I am not in the least afraid of dying. Oh, I'm not exactly looking forward to it or anything, but the fear of death is not in me.

I'm not afraid of dying... its just the end... the big sleep... Yes it may hurt but then I'm afraid of the pain not the death!

Actually I tell a lie there is only one instance in which I'm afraid of dying... during labour.. and for my child to survive and me to never see them, or hold them...etc etc ... again though its not death I'm afraid of but the circumstances around it!

I don't have any such fairy tale... I'm just rational. :shrug:

Winky said:
yer preggers?

Not at the moment! *CB touches wood*

Nope... not "with child" its just a long standing fear of mine.. suffered with it since I realised how babies really make their appearance in the world!

SouthernN'Proud said:

I think that anyone who has the courage of their convictions (whatever those convictions might be) doesn't fear death. Like you said, "not exactly looking forward to it..."

not looking forward to it does not mean you fear it. I too do not fear it but I want to enjoy life. I will probably get harassed for this but I do believe in a form of the afterlife. even if not I would like to make some difference before I die so that I am remembered.

I do believe in a form of the afterlife.[/QUOTE said:
Please do explain.....What do "YOU" believe happens when you die???

:winkkiss: just curious to know what others think! :D

Mare said:
Please do explain.....What do "YOU" believe happens when you die???

I go to Prof's heaven and party like it's 1999. And the wimen's are all young and beautiful and SO easy and the drugs are free and you can drink all the time and never get a hangover and everyday you can plook yer brains out and it's always better than the last time and...

They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see
Those nice, young men
In their clean, white coats
And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
To the happy home
With trees and flowers and chirping birds
And basket weavers who sit and smile
And twiddle their thumbs and toes
And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!

nah you go back to dust to make room for the next poor slug,
this I 'know' trust me on this heh, but gee wouldn’t
the Prof's heaven thing would be hella fun eh?

We have elaborate rituals about death because death is... well... permanent. And to many its considered a transitory period from one state to another which needs careful preparation and guidance to ensure this (the Egyptians are the best known extremists in regards to this). But all this stuff is really for the living. Not for the dead. Death is a seriously huge psychological pill for us to swallow. All the more so because we dont really understand it all. You can say its a religious thing but its beyond that really. After all both christians and atheists bury their dead. Why? Well during the paleolithic when you left bodies out to rot you attracted nasty animals. maybe the ritual began there to minimize attracting dangerous scavengers not to mention disease. But Ill bet you anything that the ritual for burial was also spurred by what man saw in nature around him: when you plant something, something new grows from it. Its a never ending cycle. So burial become both a protection and a symbol. And once you get symbology rolling different cultures evolve their own meanings and tweaks based on their own points of view.

What I find disappointing is that I was born into a culture that has a serious hang up about death. We for the most part dread it. We race against it and attempt to maximize all aspects of our lives before we give in to time (essentially by acquiring as much as possible then bragging about it). We really have a culture wide neurosis in regards to death. I wish I had been born a Viking or something like that. Into a culture where the concept of death is so vastly different that the same hang ups we have are impossible. Death is embraced and viewed as a good thing. The blessing of a higher power. When I grow up I wanna be a Klingon. :D

freako104 said:
All I ask is that you dont think less of me because of it
My first reaction to that (laboring under the misconception that I'm a comedian) was: I don't think that's possible. :D

Seriously though, the sad thing is that if you're right, I'll owe someone an apology (maybe), but if I'm right, none of us will ever know. :shrug:

I dont think youll owe anyone an apology. ;)

I believe in odd things Mare. A part will go to a paradise if deserved. The rest of the soul would go to make new life in the world.

Back