Weather - so what's new?

Aunty Em

This guy obviously doesn't know that it ALWAYS rains on Bank Holidays over here. Are there any urban legends about holidays in your country? 18 million on the roads huh? A damn good reason to stay home in my book...

Temperatures rise as holiday getaway begins

Temperatures are expected to rise again today as Britain enjoys scorching weather ahead of the Easter weekend.

But forecasters have warned that the Mediterranean-style conditions will not last through the Easter break.

Cooler conditions are expected tomorrow and Easter Saturday before rain arrives in southern England on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.

At least a million passengers are expected to depart from UK airports over the long weekend.

A total of 50,000 are departing from Luton, 120,000 from Manchester, 38,000 from Birmingham and 30,000 from East Midlands Airport.

In addition, more than half a million are expected to make Channel crossings including 60,000 on the London to Paris Eurostar train service.

Stephen Bath, President of the Association of British Travel Agents, said: "I am delighted to see that holidaymakers have not allowed the current situation to put them off taking a well-earned break this Easter and are travelling in greater numbers than ever."

VisitBritain, the body that replaced the British Tourist Authority, estimated that during the Easter break UK residents will take 2.6 million trips of one night or more in England resulting in expenditure of £400 million.

The AA said it expected 18 million motorists to take to the roads over the holiday period, with the busiest time being from mid-afternoon today to the end of tomorrow.

The Highways Agency has promised to keep roadworks on England's motorways and trunk roads to a minimum over the holiday, but the AA warned that many major routes would be extremely busy.

Source

Jesus - 18million!! That's more than a third of the English population isn't it?!

Hmm, yesterday was really nice in Watford. It's a bit grey today, but not a problem, the heat yesterday was starting to get to me. Not ready for the full-blown summer yet.

It is pretty hot here too. Today is 18.

Of course, my school had to go and schedule an exam on Monday. And on Tuesday. So here I am at school, studying. No long weekend for me. Ergh.

Jeslek said:
f course, my school had to go and schedule an exam on Monday.

Monday! :eek: That's a Bank Holiday here... :)

Apparently you guys get fewer holidays than we do, but we also get fewer than most other countries in Europe. Plus we work longer hours than they do... :(

What is a bank holiday? Are banks closed or something? ?( Or is it similar to a public holiday?

Public holidays in Ontario are New Years, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Labor Day, Civic Holiday, Thanksgiving, Rememberance Day (Veteran's day), and Christmas.

According to investorwords.com too:

Bank Holiday

The temporary closing of a bank in the event that its obligations exceed its resources.

Jeslek said:
Are banks closed or something? Or is it similar to a public holiday?

Yes... :lol:

we have 8 Bank (Public) Holidays in England/Wales

this year:

New Year's Day 1 Jan
Good Friday 18 Apr
Easter Monday 21 Apr
Early May Bank Holiday 5 May
Spring Bank Holiday 26 May 31
Summer Bank Holiday 25 Aug 30
Christmas Day 25 Dec
Boxing Day 26 Dec

These are paid holidays that employees are entitled to in additon to ther annual holiday entitlement.

I've heard it called Bank Holiday here too, usually Federal Holiday or State Holiday though.

What is Boxing Day and what do you do to observe it?

April and May are insane for my family... Birthdays: niece Kassandra, my Mother, niece Alexa, nephew Ryan, nephew Jack, sister Meg and nephew D.J. Not to mention Mother's Day and my parent's anniversary. So today we celebrated Mom, Kassandra and Alexa. Typical spring weather-warm enough to go without a jacket for a couple of hours around noon and windy. All I have to say is with all those kids running around, thank God they could play outside.

greenfreak said:
What is Boxing Day and what do you do to observe it?

For many people it's just another day off, but for others it's a time to give their time and effort for free to charitable institutions that help the less fortunate.

Boxing Day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 26:

This holiday is celebrated in Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

The traditional celebration of Boxing Day included giving money and other gifts to charitable institutions, needy individuals, and people in service jobs. The holiday may date from the Middle Ages (A.D. 400's--1500's), but the exact origin is unknown. It may have begun with the lords and ladies of England, who presented Christmas gifts in boxes to their servants on December 26, or it may have begun with priests, who opened the church's alms boxes on the day after Christmas and distributed the contents to the poor. Boxing Day's name probably comes from the old custom of giving boxes of gifts to people who provide public services, such as mail carriers.

Today, Boxing day is still a day of gift giving. While government buildings and small businesses are closed, the malls are filled with people either exchanging gifts or buying reduced priced Christmas gifts, cards, and decorations. Throughout the holiday season, many organizations follow the original tradition of Boxing Day by donating their time, energy, and money to fill the Food Bank, provide gifts for children who live in poverty, or to help an individual family who is in great need.

greenfreak said:
All I have to say is with all those kids running around, thank God they could play outside.

Yep, it gets pretty crazy when it's raining and my nephews are visiting! (8 and 6) :lol:

Thanks Auntie. :) One more question... Anyone know what "Walk in the Park Day" is and when/where it originated? I used to closely work with people in Frankfurt Germany and I found out that it existed then, but I thought it was a joke.

Back