Well, that was a good time.

HomeLAN

Went to dinner at Dad-in-law's. Fixed his network, secured his wireless LAN.

Came out to go home, and the wife's car wouldn't start. The trip odometer showed 250 miles, so I figure she'd run it out of gas. No big deal, right? Borrow the in-law's gas can, go get a gallon, and fill 'er up. No sweat. Until you factor in that there's a fucking tropical storm moving through here, and we were in the middle of a really severe band at the time.

So, I picked up 10 pounds of water in my clothing, got the gas can filled, dumped it in the tank, and it fired up. The entire time, it's dumping water at the rate of about 3 inches an hour. I don't think I've ever been quite that wet before in my life. I just earned some serious-assed points.

I stopped-off doing anything at about 1pm. Just laid around mostly, watchin' tv.
The lake out front has maintained the regular level for the most part, up until
about an hour ago, and it's up, and rising pretty fast right now.
It's up about 1-1/2 feet. That's about 6" about flood stage, and It looks to
probably go up another foot or so. That will put in about the same place as when
Frances came through.

I think I can safely say, it's not going to be as colorful a fall this year.
Most of the leaves are now gone.

You guys only got 250 miles on a 16-gallon tank? Yikes. That's 15.6 miles to the gallon. Good for the 1962 Fairlane... crappy for a 1999 Taurus.

poor steve! it rained like hell from about 3pm on it seems. it's always fun to pick up toddlers from school in the pouring rain. love buckling carseats in a downpour. not to mention that the cats won't go out in it so they spend all night lurking and prowling the halls and getting into fights with each other.

Inkara1 said:
You guys only got 250 miles on a 16-gallon tank? Yikes. That's 15.6 miles to the gallon. Good for the 1962 Fairlane... crappy for a 1999 Taurus.

I suspect that someone didn't get it all the way full last time, or that she spent a lot of time sitting in traffic on this tank. We usually get 270-280 before it becomes critical. I keep telling her to fill up at 225, but she keeps blowing me off.

Prof, the guage is incredibly inaccurate on the last half of the tank, and the idiot light is a POS. Thus my repeated warnings to fill up at 225 on the odometer.

Other than the rain, we're fine. The basement even stayed dry, although the water got to within a half-inch of the back door. Judging by the pool, Jeanne dumped at least 4 inches on me, maybe 4.5. And we were on the west side of it, where things were less severe.

Back