What an a-hole...

highwayman

I have been taking bids to have a new furnace and AC installed in the house and the second guy to come out turned out to be a real jerk...

The guy comes out and takes his measurements and said he will call me back on thursday and never did... I call him up yesterday to find out if he had the bid ready and the jerk went off on some tangent about how they don't finance blah blah blah. He finaly stopped after I went off and told him that on no uncertain terms had I asked his company to finance and had not even brought up the subject in any conversations I had with him and the fact that he was to make a bid on a job. The last thing I told him was to blow it out his ass and hung up...

Would you use anybody like this?

This company is now on my do not call even during the apocolypse list...

Professur

Re: What an asshole...

Not only would I never use him, I'd make a concerted effort to publicise my displeasure.

Winky

I would kiss his ass, offer to have sex with his dog
and do whatever it took, to have him come out
and fix mah furnace er whatever...

highwayman

Winky said:
I would kiss his ass, offer to have sex with his dog
and do whatever it took, to have him come out
and fix mah furnace er whatever...

You do that, and make sure the dog wears a condom...

Inkara1

Sounds to me like the guy looked at your house and thought you were too poor to pay a few grand out of pocket.

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Not only would I never use him, I'd make a concerted effort to publicise my displeasure.

Yep! I've done it before and I'll do it again. BTW, if you ever need pool service in Atlanta, avoid Barth's like the fucking plague. When I caught him at it, he basically admitted to me he was marking up the parts by 50% to put 'em on his truck and drive 'em over here. I got the new pump - installed - for $50 less than he wanted for parts alone. Same pump.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Make sure he knows your displeasure & your ability & willingness to broadcast your displeasure to every available ear. He may or may not have a business next year (or even better, you may get one hell of a deal)

HomeLAN

Too late. Any trust level at all, even that necessary to let him into your house is shot to hell.

alex

I woulda never called him for a bid after he bailed the first time.

I kinda ran into the same thing just a couple of weeks ago. I've been gathering quotes on a termite policy and when I called this one company (they are local only), the girl who answered the phone starts goin off about they don't give out termite letters with free inspections....WTF? I never asked for a friggen letter in the first damn place :grumpy: Needless to say, they will not get my business.

Dave

alex said:
I woulda never called him for a bid after he bailed the first time.

me neither. had a few contractors that didnt return calls or submit bids. fine by me. at least i knew what i was dealing with right away. untrustworthy with poor business sense.

highwayman

Inkara1 said:
Sounds to me like the guy looked at your house and thought you were too poor to pay a few grand out of pocket.

That's what I thought, I don't live in the "high rent" part of town so he thought I did not have the cash to pay for it... There are other ways to desl with it other then the way he did it. In fact I have had contractors over bid jobs and have found out latter that the contractor was not interested in what I wanted done...

Winky

yeah when anyone doesn't behave precisely the way
I think they should behave I get my panties inna twist
for days over it.

and when I whine far and wide about it, everyone always
thinks highly of me...

jeebus

Winky

aw c'mon U can due betta than dat
yer makin' a foo outta yerself in dis thread
cain't you due any betta dan dat?

you betta beg that a-hole too take advantage of ya
cuz u might not get many moe offers @ yer age

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Winky said:
yeah when anyone doesn't behave precisely the way
I think they should behave I get my panties inna twist
for days over it.

and when I whine far and wide about it, everyone always
thinks highly of me...

jeebus

Free market attitudes kick ass, 'eh?

Cerise

highwayman, I own my house and used my American Home Shield home warranty policy to replace my A/C a few years ago. If you haven't heard of them or a similiar company, they insure nearly all systems in your house for a monthly payment (mine's about $50) and if something goes wrong with what's covered under your policy they send out a contracted repair service to fix or replace it.

You pay the contractor a minimal fee (back then it was $16 bucks) and that covers the parts and labor--- but of course you have to pay more if you need to replace a large item like the A/C (damned if I can remember exactly how much exactly, but I think it was close to $600. I shit you not.) Like any kind of insurance, you may not use it for years, but it's well worth having when you look at the cost of replacing a major household appliance out of your pocket. I've had their coverage for 9 years and don't have any complaints about them.

Now I'm waiting for the well pump in our back yard to go out, as it's 30 years old....

highwayman

Cerise said:
highwayman, I own my house and used my American Home Shield home warranty policy to replace my A/C a few years ago. If you haven't heard of them or a similiar company, they insure nearly all systems in your house for a monthly payment (mine's about $50) and if something goes wrong with what's covered under your policy they send out a contracted repair service to fix or replace it.

To start out I don't care for extended warreties, weather it is in a house or car.

The thing is my house was built in 1940 and the furnace is 15 years old and no AC. The reason I was taking bids to install the AC along with the furnace it is easier to install the coil pack for the AC at the time of the furnace install then it is to come in later and have the condencer installed after the fact. It does not get smoking hot here in the summer but it is a selling point if there is AC or at least the condencer installed when the house is put on the market...

alex

AC is a must down here. 92 degrees with 80% humidity yesterday and today. After doing yard work yesterday, I just couldn't bring myself to get out in it today.

Cerise

highwayman said:
To start out I don't care for extended warreties, weather it is in a house or car.

The thing is my house was built in 1940....

Yes, an extended warranty can be a ripoff---this is a true insurance policy for the plumbing, electrical, heating, etc. systems of your home. They'll accept an older house as long as the systems were in good working order when you bought the plan but they don't inspect it before you buy the policy either.

I dunno---I'm not an expert when it comes to home repairs, nor do I have a lot of fundage, so this has worked out good for me.

:shrug:

highwayman

Cerise said:
They'll accept an older house as long as the systems were in good working order when you bought the plan but they don't inspect it before you buy the policy either.

On this point they can say it is a pre-excisting condition and deny the claim. I don't have deep pockets either but can think of other things I can do with the 50 bucks a month other then lining somebody elses pockets..