What gives Yahoo?

IDLEchild

What gives? Not that I mind but there must be a catch? The free mail account went from 4mb capacity to 100mb and is still free....How is Yahoo affording this 96mb bump up?

Went to check my mail and got a nice surprise. Better GUI and also a bumped up attachment size...its 10mb now. What gives? Nothing this good is for free....

I think they're trying to gain an edge against Google's GMail. Most people probably won't even use the extra space, and 100mb of high-quality HDD space is only like 10 cents or so. Maybe they're increasing advertising too?

Kawaii said:
I think they're trying to gain an edge against Google's GMail. Most people probably won't even use the extra space, and 100mb of high-quality HDD space is only like 10 cents or so. Maybe they're increasing advertising too?

Nope...I actually noticed less advertising, nothing more than usual. When Is Gmail suppose to premiere?

Edit: Ooops, misread.
I don't know, but the beta testers have authority to give one other person an account. If you're lucky you might be able to convince a friend to give you an account.

catocom said:
I have the $30/yr premium account and my storage just shot up to 2gigs.
IIII Like It. :cool:
I think the free accounts now have 100mbs.
http://info.mail.yahoo.com/

catocom said:
I figured it's the google thing too.
With 2gig, it looks like they got the jump on them though.
They also dropped the rate for the account I have from
$30 to $20/yr

Now it some of the other thing could just get (more) unmonopolized,
like the utils..(power/electricity, propane gas), and other stuff.

"competing with gmail"

that was exactly my thought when I logged into yahoo today and got a pleasant surprise.

Aaaargh!!!! FUBAR! :mad:

The free upgrade is kewl, but ever since the upgrade appeared, I haven't been able to access the Calendar on "My Yahoo". When you click on the "Calendar" button, it locks up IE. Every time. I need my Calendar, it's the most useful tool on Yahoo (besides free email). :(

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Back