What would you do?

jimpeel

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316939,00.html

Philadelphia Cheesesteak Shop Owner Defends 'Order in English' Policy
Saturday, December 15, 2007

PHILADELPHIA — A small sign that asked customers to order in English at a famous cheesesteak shop was never meant to be offensive, the shop's owner testified Friday at a hearing to decide whether the policy was discriminatory.

Joe Vento, the owner of Geno's Steaks, defended his policy before the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, which filed the discrimination complaint.

"This country is a melting pot, but what makes it work is the English language," Vento told the commission. "I'm not stupid. I would never put a sign out to hurt my business."

Vento posted two small signs in October 2005 at his shop in a diverse South Philadelphia neighborhood, telling customers, "This is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING PLEASE 'SPEAK ENGLISH.'"

He said Friday that he posted the sign because of concerns over the debate on immigration reform and the increasing number of people from the area who could not order in English.

But he said he also wanted to keep the line moving at his busy store.

"The case should, without question, be dismissed," Vento attorney Shannon L. Goessling said. "There is a legitimate business purpose for this sign."

Paul M. Hummer, an attorney for the commission, testified earlier that the sign is not about political speech, but about "intimidation," and that it suggested business from certain individuals was not wanted.

No ruling is expected for at least two months, the three-member panel said.

After extensive publicity in 2006, the commission began investigating whether Vento violated a city ordinance that prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing on the basis of race, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

In February, the commission found probable cause against Geno's Steaks for discrimination, alleging that the policy at the shop discourages customers of certain backgrounds from eating there.

Friday's hearing was held at the Arch Street Meeting House, given to the Philadelphia Quakers by William Penn in 1693. The building is billed as a symbol of "tolerance, equality and peace."

Vento arrived carrying a bouquet of red and white roses. He met some resistance outside the hall, with protesters carrying signs reading, "No Hate in Our Town." About 100 people were in attendance when the meeting started shortly after 1:30 p.m, but only a few dozen were left when testimony ended shortly before 8 p.m.

Vento told of starting his steak shop in 1966 with just $6 and developing it into a multimillion-dollar business.

Camille Charles, a sociology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, testified that Vento's signs harken back to the "Whites only" postings of the Jim Crow era.

"The signs give a feeling of being unwelcome and being excluded," Charles said.

So they say that the signs "discourages customers of certain backgrounds from eating there" yet that apparently is everyone who does not speak English. That is one vast number of "certain people".

I was particularly amused by the signs he was met with at the hearing which read "No Hate in Our Town." IN ENGLISH!

Ever been to Quebec or France where the law is that the signage of all shops shall be in French only or that if other languages are noted that they shall be in small print?

at a hearing to decide whether the policy was discriminatory.

His business. His livelihood. Let him decide whose business he wants & whose he doesn't. Discrimination is not a bad thing.

What's really amazing is the number of "certain people" who "don't speak English"... unless it's convenient. Then, from what I've seen, they seem to be able to understand it well enough to get the job done.

What would I do?

I'd let 'em jibber jabber away, then throw whatever I needed to get rid of on a bun, and price it to 'em. If they complain, I can't understand you. When they complain in English, I ask 'em "then why didn't you order in English? This is what it sounded like you wanted."

No refund either.

I have actually been on hold with the local phone/DSL company and asked for someone with a better command of English and been hung up on. They always say they record calls for quality assurance. I sure hope that asshole got fired.

Why the fuck you hire someone not fluent in English to offer phone support to English speaking customers is beyond me....

BTW, this is ONE area where I do lean right. English is the damn language of this country.....LEARN IT!!!

It's not exactly a hot button issue I lose sleep over, but English is, more and more, spoken fluently the world over (I have been to Europe, and this many years back, and we DID try to speak the native language, but most often they spoke good English in any case). Why should that not be so in the good ol' US of A?

Try ordering dinner in English at a restaurant in Mexico (or France or Germany...). :lol: I'm all for tolerance of other peoples culture and beliefs. I don't think I should be expected to bend over backwards to kowtow to them in my own country. When I'm in another country I speak the language and conform to the customs as best I can. I only expect the same treatment.

Try ordering dinner in English at a restaurant in Mexico (or France or Germany...). :lol: I'm all for tolerance of other peoples culture and beliefs. I don't think I should be expected to bend over backwards to kowtow to them in my own country. When I'm in another country I speak the language and conform to the customs as best I can. I only expect the same treatment.

Never make assumptions, as you'll often be proved wrong....

Never done it in Mexico, but in France and Germany I have. Generally we used German or French, but most of them spoke enough English and were very helpful. In France it was the northern part, which I am told is far friendlier than down south, with a lot less typical "French cultural arrogance".

Interestingly cold water is not always easy to come by in Europe, and one time at a restaurant in the Rhine Valley we tried to get ice water. They were helpful but not too fluent in English, and the only way we could figure to say it was "eiswasser", or the combination of the German words for ice and water. They brought us a cup of water with a scoop of ice cream in it!

And the ABSOLUTE WORST, and by that I mean HORRIFICALLY BAD, pizza I ever had in my life was at an Italian owned pizzeria, in southern Germany. It tasted like a large soda cracker with Campbell's tomato soup base slathered on it with fake cheese and bologna sliced on top. It was so bad we had to go elsewere to eat.

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl3: :rofl4:

I simply forgot that you know everything Mark... Never make assumptions about people making assumptions.

Re my personal experience: In Germany it was about 50/50. In France they were polite enough (contrary to popular rumor) but the places I went ran about 75/25. In Mexico, at least outside of Mexico City, it ran about 90/10 but it was less important to me personally because I speak more Spanish than I do French or German.

I prefer water at room temperature by the way although I (or at least some of the folks I was traveling with) noticed the same thing you did regarding ice water.

The point was and is that it's only good manners to try to speak the language of the host country as best you can when visiting that country. If you're relocating to that country I think that should be your first order of business.

Or, you can be an ass.

Interestingly cold water is not always easy to come by in Europe, and one time at a restaurant in the Rhine Valley we tried to get ice water. They were helpful but not too fluent in English, and the only way we could figure to say it was "eiswasser", or the combination of the German words for ice and water. They brought us a cup of water with a scoop of ice cream in it!

That is because you should have ordered Wasser mit Eis.

Back