What's in YOUR wallet???

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Climbing into his Volvo, outfitted with a Matrics antenna and a Motorola reader hed'd bought on eBay for $190, Chris Paget cruised the streets of San Francisco with this objective: To read the identity cards of strangers, wirelessly, without ever leaving his car.

It took him 20 minutes to strike hacker's gold.

Source...

You may now commence the debate over civil liberties vs privacy.

jimpeel

I should market matching tin foil hats and wallets! I could make millions!

The guy at Minkey's link saw you coming.

There are two materials which impede Radio Signals with incredible success... Water & Metal. Although you could fill a bag full of water and place your money, wallet, or whatever else in it, let's continue with the metal route. A single layer of aluminum foil of only 27 microns thick is often enough to block the RFID signals of most readers or 1mm of dilute salt water. A quick test at my work place using my badge confirmed the effectiveness of a layer of aluminum foil. (insert obligatory aluminum foil hat joke) So... the next step was to design a wallet with aluminum foil embedded inside. Using the plans to make Duct Tape Wallets I created previously, it was simple to modify them to include the aluminum foil.

You know what is kind of funny is that when I was a kid we used to have this shiny aluminum strip, (like tape, and about as wide as a standard roll of electrical tape) and my folks put it on the Christmas tree every year. Turns out that stuff is really old and has been in the family quite some time. One of my grandfathers was a pilot in the Air Force and he died in a crash before I ever was born. The stuff was what they used to drop from the plane to screw up radar signal. Its thick enough my mom saves it but it is a really pretty silver around the tree.

jimpeel

You know what is kind of funny is that when I was a kid we used to have this shiny aluminum strip, (like tape, and about as wide as a standard roll of electrical tape) and my folks put it on the Christmas tree every year. Turns out that stuff is really old and has been in the family quite some time. One of my grandfathers was a pilot in the Air Force and he died in a crash before I ever was born. The stuff was what they used to drop from the plane to screw up radar signal. Its thick enough my mom saves it but it is a really pretty silver around the tree.

The correct name for that material is "chaff".

Kinda cool that you have some of the stuff.

When I was a kid, the tinsel was made of lead. We would roll it up in a ball and shoot it with a slingshot.

MrBishop

They can already track you while you're in malls/stores through something as innocuous as the RFID tag from something you've already bought (Often well hidden in the product), or through your c/card, or through those automatic toll boxes in people's cars.... why not go for gold?

THing is, that the range is pretty weak...the RFID uses the energy from the radio signal to echo it's reply. It's not the type of thing you can do from orbit, or from the top of a building.

What it does do effectively, is watch doors and other entrances where you can restrict the entry way to under 30'

Professur

My new credit card came with a chip. It happily resides with my security pass for work ... in a metal business card case.