Who Is Martha Stewart & What Did She Do?

Martha Stewart is a well known (in the US) public figure. She is famous for tips to homemakers about crafts, simple housekeeping clues, and decorating. She's gotten incredibly rich doing this, through her own magazine, TV shows, etc. She alos sat on several corporate boards, headed her own company, and had a history as a stock broker.

A couple years ago when Imclone imploded, it was alleged that she was warned it was coming by Sam Waksal , the CEO of Imclone. That would be illiegal insider trading. She sold her stock in the company at a good profit shortly before it collapsed. She claimed that she had a limit order in, and that it had nothing to do with any conversations with Waksal.

They never proved she was doing insider trading, but they did convict her for lying to the SEC. She did 5 months in jail, even as she appealed the verdict, and was just released.

The poor old gurl was railroaded and her big return to celebrity is her just comeuppance!

They never even formally charged her with insider trading, just with lying about it. :lol:
Like Winky says...

Yeah, they did, but were forced to drop the illegal trading charge really early in the case.

She went to jail worth $300,000,000. She exited, five months later, worth over a billion. I can't get past that.

Wow! Thanks for letting me know. I feel like after that, I know her whole life story. :)

I can't get over this as well: She went to jail worth $300,000,000. She exited, five months later, worth over a billion.

Thanks guys...

HomeLAN said:
Yeah, they did, but were forced to drop the illegal trading charge really early in the case.
OK, I stand corrected. The part I never understood was how can you convict somebody for lying about shit you can't charge them with. :confused:

A big part of that is because one of her companies, Martha Stewart Everyday, which makes a line of home, bath and kitchen products, is sold at a store called Kmart. Kmart is going to be merging with Sears (pending regulatory approval) which would mean the potential for Martha Stewart Everyday products to show up in Sears stores. That's great news for MSE, so the stock rocketed up. Martha Stewart still owned stock in her own company when she went to jail, and the stock increased in value while she was serving her time.

She has also become very good at manipulating the media into getting humongous exposure and free advertising, whether she's doing it actively or not. She's forcing BTK off the news covers.

chcr said:
OK, I stand corrected. The part I never understood was how can you convict somebody for lying about shit you can't charge them with. :confused:

Waksal fell hard, and I believe the conspiracy and obstruction charges stem at least partially from his case.

i think a billion dollars would definitely go far to smooth out all the rough spots in my life.

Martha Stewart...she a lady who makes ugly bed sheets and charges too much $$$$ for them.....

Back