Why I hate Ebay

MrBishop

Situation: I'm trying to buy a few items to update my Warhammer rule-books and painting guides. I found one item which can be found in Canada, in stores, for about $39.95.

Ebay price $8US
S&H $5US
total: $13US - exchange bringing it to $16CAN - great!

Got an email from the seller saying that it was too large to ship it in one package, and the cost of shipping was to the USA. New total for S&H - $23.10US

New total: 23.10+8.00=31.10US or $37.00CAN total savings $2.95plus taxes

Ebay places all items in US$'s automatically...fine.

My problem? How the hell can it cost 5 times as much to ship to Canada, when I'm just a paltry 35mins from the border???!??

Someone please explain this to me.

MrBishop

unclehobart said:
Probably customs and assumed tarriffs and whatnot imposed upon UPS plus a little padding for profit.

That's a buttload of padding, mein freund. A similar product coming from the UK is listed as $8US for S&H to Canada

unclehobart

Perhaps you can get them to ship it to the post office right across the border and then you can go pick it up and only be out 2 hours for the border cross and $10cdn in petrol.

tonksy

unclehobart said:
Perhaps you can get them to ship it to the post office right across the border and then you can go pick it up and only be out 2 hours for the border cross and $10cdn in petrol.
or ship it to an american friend who will mail it to you...fight the system, man ;)

unclehobart

Too large for one package? I wonder why. The baseline for a single package probably starts at 10$ minimum. To have made it all in one box would have been only 14-15$ S&H.

MrBishop

I don't quite get it either....I've heard of people shipping much large and heavier things. This is basically just paper and cardboard.
I'm seriously thinking of getting myself a PO Box in Chateaugay,NY for my Ebay stuff. I go there every other weekend in the winter and practically every weekend during fishing season.

MrBishop

unclehobart said:
Then thy solution lies well in hand... just be prepared for the new fingerprint game south of the border.

Not really...different problem. Ship-to addresses for PayPal :( It become a burocratic battle instead of a fiscal one).

I barely ever get stopped for crossing the border...usually, it's a 2 minute stop-and-go. The joys of having a sleeping child in the backseat. ;)

As for the fingerprinting thing, I don't look middle-eastern enough ;)

MrBishop

tommyj27 said:
sounds like an ebay seller trying to play ya for a fool.

That's why I have gotten EBAY involved in the process. They have a nice anti-fraud process to follow through on 'oddities' like this one.

MrBishop

unclehobart said:
How many transactions/what is the guys seller rating?

Feedback rating: 45
Positive feedback: 100%
Registered Jul-12-99 in United States

Feedback Summary [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]77 positives. 45 are from unique users. [/font]

almost 1/2 of the ratings are from sales...

This is why I'm not sicking the troops on him right away.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
ahh, E-bay

My grandmother gave me a bunch of old stuff to sell, old 78 records, collectable ashtrays, is ebay the best way to do it?

tonksy

paul_valaru said:
ahh, E-bay

My grandmother gave me a bunch of old stuff to sell, old 78 records, collectable ashtrays, is ebay the best way to do it?
records? what kind of records?

tonksy

paul_valaru said:
old 78s uhmm, realy old stuff, I can't remember names, but the guy that used to sing in blackface

old jazz, swing music, etc.
really? and you plan on selling them?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
tonks said:
really? and you plan on selling them?

yep, they are collectable, and my grandmother could use the money, maybe she'll take a long vacation or something

NOTE: I am selling them for her, the money goes to her (I'm sure she'll make me keep a few bucks) I'm not scamming my granny