Why you should never buy your children toys...

Ardsgaine

I keep a big toy box of toys out here in the living room for my son to play with. He's got more toys on a shelf in the hallway, and there are a few more tucked away in odd corners that don't fit neatly anywhere else. He very rarely actually plays with them though. Usually he's under my feet trying to get to the power strip so he can turn off the computer, trying to open the CD drives so he can swing from them, pushing the reset button or sneaking around behind the tower so that he can wiggle the wires and cause it to freeze up. That's when he's not busy tap dancing on the kitchen table, of course. I've finally found something for him to play with, though, that will keep him harmlessly entertained for hours on end. What is this amazing toy, you ask? Three plastic floppy disk cases that I brought out of the junk room and put by the front door to be thrown away later. He's pulled all the little plastic dividers out of them, and he's been carrying them all over the house. Right now he's busy stuffing a few down behind the couch cushions for me to find later when I'm looking for the TV remote. So don't spend hundreds of dollars buying your children brightly colored toys that play repetitive, irritating little tunes with sterile electronic beeps. Go out to Office Depot and buy them a few floppy disk cases and watch their little faces light up with joy.

(Ah... now he's talking on that busted phone we gave him a few days ago... probably trying to call the child abuse hotline.) :p

We have an entire room (full width of house) of toys. Doesn't matter. If it's not a toy, they want it.

Cereal boxes are a real boon too. :D :headbang:

Luis G said:
dancing on the table?

what do you feed him?

The usual baby food and some of the stuff we eat... he prefers getting his own meals out of the garbage can, though.

Leslie said:
We have an entire room (full width of house) of toys. Doesn't matter. If it's not a toy, they want it.

Right. As long as they don't know it's okay to play with it. If you hand it to them to play with, then it must be a toy and no thanks. When I gave him the phone, I just put it where he could reach it. He thinks he's getting away with something, so he's happy.

Cereal boxes are a real boon too. :D :headbang:

Good idea! I'll have to start leaving them where he can get them... at least that will keep him from dragging them out of the garbage can. :rolleyes:

Empty plastic seltzer bottles. Mama drinks it all day, so he thinks it's adult stuff.

He also loves the mop deal for the swiffer, but you have to be careful. He wields it like a trained ninja.

when I was little my Dad made me a play house out of the cardboard box that our entertainment center was delivered in and I played in that for days and days until the cardboard stating ripping and bending!

Back