Wish me luck...I'm about to...

MrBishop

...attempt either the insane, or the overzealous. I can't figure out which it is :D

I've got, in my possession:

1 -working computer (I know it works, I'm using it now)
1 second-hand motherboard (Got it from Cammy and she thinks that it's a PIV 1.5ghz)
1 ATX case
2 spare hard drives
An Xp CD
piles of loose cables, nuts, screws, old CDRoms and assorted computer bits
and ONE goal

I shall take the motherboard and place it into the new case, I shall transfer all my hardware from my old case ('cept the MB) into the new case, I shall add HDs and CDRs, plus cables, an old floppy etc...into my old case AND with any luck...

I shall have two working computers, one of which will become my father's tomorrow on his birthday.

Am I a fool for even attempting this...without a net...without Annette...without fishnet stockings! ??

Perhaps. Wish me luck!

BTW...if you don't see me online for a while, it'll be because I'm the proud owner of two pieces of burnt out crap in the general shape of a computer OR that I've shot myself accross the room through the joys of electricity!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
This is the easy part. Wait until you have to install an OS. That's where the fear & turmoil begins.

HomeLAN

Piece o' cake, unless your old HD has all sorts of trouble dealing with all new equipment. Even then, you can always do the ol' "Format C:" trick if you have the OS. You DID back that baby up first, right?

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Piece o' cake, unless your old HD has all sorts of trouble dealing with all new equipment. Even then, you can always do the ol' "Format C:" trick if you have the OS. You DID back that baby up first, right?
Not yet...my CDRW is NOT playing nice. The Old HD isn't being touched other than movign it from case A to Case B

And...I do have the real XP CDS

tommyj27

Not really Banned
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024k

^^ first thing i do to any computer i touch. my friends don't let me touch their computers anymore.

MrBishop

tommyj27 said:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024k

^^ first thing i do to any computer i touch. my friends don't let me touch their computers anymore.
Pero para mi, todo es chino.

I havn't the slkightest idea WTF you just typed out Tommy

A.B.Normal

MrBishop said:
Pero para mi, todo es chino.

I havn't the slkightest idea WTF you just typed out Tommy

low level format i.e.writes 1s and zeros to the drive ,doing that a couple times willl keep the guys in dark glasses busy trying to find your old data. :evilcool:

HomeLAN

That old HD is going to have to adjust to all new hardware. Do yourself something of a favor - move the expansion cards (video, sound, modem, NIC) over as well. Less stuff to get confused about.

Oh, and ignore the Linux freak. :p

MrBishop

A.B.Normal said:
low level format i.e.writes 1s and zeros to the drive ,doing that a couple times willl keep the guys in dark glasses busy trying to find your old data. :evilcool:
Really...when I'm ready to toss my shit out...a 5lb sledge does the same thing :D

I'll keep that in mind...hopefully, it won't be needed.

/me takes a deep breath.

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
That old HD is going to have to adjust to all new hardware. Do yourself something of a favor - move the expansion cards (video, sound, modem, NIC) over as well. Less stuff to get confused about.

Oh, and ignore the Linux freak. :p
The majority of it is moving... the only thing left in the old box will be the MoBo, some Dimms, the powersupply and some loose wires.

Until I start building my Dad's machine that is.

MrBishop

Fuckity fuck fuck FUCK!

I bought the wrong damn case!
The f'n MoBo doesn't fit right!

Damn double-damn...WTF now?
My kid's asleep and I can't leave him solo while I rush off to buy a new case?

HomeLAN

What part doesn't fit right? The ports at the back? The holes just don't match up with the posts? The board's too big? What?

MrBishop

The MoBo's too small... the ports don't match up and neither do the holes where the MoBo go into the case.

Quick...what's smaller than an ATX case, yet fits a PIV setup? Ans: How the hell should I know...I bought the wrong damn case!

Damn...but sometimes I even shock myself with my level of idiocy!

HomeLAN

Probably a micro-ATX. You still might be able to get it to fit. You could leave the back plate off, and the posts are movable.

That mobo got a model # on it?

tommyj27

Not really Banned
A.B.Normal said:
men with dark glasses? zeroing it isn't enough for that...

root@yourbox:# shred -n 100 -z -f /dev/hda

would be a better idea. for the truly paranoid, follow that with the sledgehammer and a trip through a grinder. :D

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Probably a micro-ATX. You still might be able to get it to fit. You could leave the back plate off, and the posts are movable.

That mobo got a model # on it?
GB 81DML

My last search said ATX...so i bought ATX case...

Slow with the pics..sorry

chcr

Too cute for words
See, you shoulda bought the fishnet stockings.
Homie's right though, probably micro-ATX. You should even be able to get a matching backplate that'll go into your case. If you do though, you lose the excuse of having a spare case araound to buy more computer parts. :nerd:

chcr

Too cute for words
tommyj27 said:
men with dark glasses? zeroing it isn't enough for that...

root@yourbox:# shred -n 100 -z -f /dev/hda

would be a better idea. for the truly paranoid, follow that with the sledgehammer and a trip through a grinder. :D

Or a BFM after?