Without fail

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oil prices are too high. It makes me unhappy to fuel up. The oil companies are making a killing. I could walk. I won't. I could drive less. I won't. I could buy a vehicle with better mileage. I won't (plus it's hard to beat 30MPG highway\24 city in a full size auto).

I've made choices. So have you. Leave it to the Dems...

DALLAS (AP) - Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) rewrote the corporate record books Thursday as the oil company's third-quarter earnings soared to almost $10 billion and it became the first public company ever with quarterly sales topping $100 billion. Anglo-Dutch competitor Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSA) wasn't far behind, posting a profit of $9 billion for the quarter.

Those results led Democrats in Congress to demand a new windfall profits tax. "Big oil behemoths are making out like bandits, while the average American family is getting killed by high gas prices, and soon-to-be record heating oil prices," Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement.
Source

One of my two main philosophical differences with the typical Democrat is the fact that they cannot seem to keep their hands out of my pockets. If it ain't taxed, they'll tax it; if it's already taxed, they'll raise the tax even higher.

I harbor no love for oil conglomerates. But a "windfall tax" is too open ended for my taste. Just because someone made some money does not entitle the government to a larger cut. They squander 80% of what they appropriate as it is. Spend more wisely, and I'll bitch less. Key word being less...taxes suck.

My income is taxed. My purchases are taxed. They get me coming and going. That's enough. Keep your hands off what's left please.

What ol' Chuckie up there doesn't understand is that, like every other tax in a free market society, the business simply ends up passing the cost on to the consumer. He's not really suggesting taking it out of corporate pockets - he wants to further pick mine. The sad part is that the average voter buys this shit hook, line, and sinker.

Back