witnessed an accident

Dave

i was going to get my check and was driving down a street that was being repaved. it was down to 2 lanes, normally 4. the car in front of me slowed, moved into the oncoming lane and started to take a left. unfortunately for him, there was a motorcycle cop coming down the street. the cop couldnt stop in time and hit the side of the car. very low speed. maybe scrapped some paint on the bike, put a small dent in the car door.
i pulled over and by the time i got back to the cop, he was out from under the bike. had to be 10 cops there inside of 45 seconds and the ambulance was there inside of 2 minutes.
the cop didnt hit the ground all that hard but he was lying there with his eyes closed and not talking to his fellow officers of which there were at least 5 kneeling around him asking him if he was alright and telling him not to move.
the ambulance must have been just around the corner cause they got there so fast, plus they almost hit me pulling up to the site. (gonna have to have a word with them about that.)took another 5 or 10 minutes before someone started taking names of witnesses.
wonder if i'll get a call.

I remember one time when I witnessed an accident - it took nearly 2 hours for the police to finally come get my statement. Talk about frustrating! :mad:

I did that too, saw one, was a drunk driver. Waited 3 hours to talk to the police, and nothing ever came of it. Waaaaaaaaaste of time.

Spot said:
wonder if i'll get a call.

The union will have this guy set for life inside of 24 hours. You'll only hear from them if the other driver is wealthy.

i actually witnessed a man on the side of the road get hit by car ... when i called the police, the dispatcher acted like she didn't believe me. *grr*

Gonz said:
The union will have this guy set for life inside of 24 hours. You'll only hear from them if the other driver is wealthy.
oh no doubt. this guy was playing it to the hilt. i've hit the ground harder slipping on ice.

Glad it wasn't worse, even if the cop was milking it.

I've mostly witnessed fender benders with parked cars and always volunteered as a witness. Even if nothing comes of it, it's the right thing to do. You would want someone to do it for you.

My city's police department used me as leverage to get a woman to admit to hitting a parked car, leaving a big dent in the driver's side door. I left a note with her license plate number, description of the car, of her, the times, the restaurant she went into, everything.

She denied it to the cops at first but once she found out there was a witness, she confessed to it. :devil:

kuulani said:
i actually witnessed a man on the side of the road get hit by car ... when i called the police, the dispatcher acted like she didn't believe me. *grr*

Man, I hate that. I once called after I heard a screech and crash outside the store and told the dispatcher it was at the intersection, and they're hassling me over which exact street it's on. WTF's the difference? The accident took place at the intersection and it's right down the street from the station, it's not like they're gonna take a different route depending on which road the cars ended up on. I didn't see it cause I don't have X-ray vision to see through the wall, but being able to hear it and being next to a phone meant I had to call even if I can't see it, I certainly know there's an accident and you never know, sometimes only a few seconds can make a big difference in a situation like that.

I've never been on the calling end of it, just the painful end....Twice now....Once, people did call in, I had been crossing an intersection on my bike when an idiot decided to jump the light. He slammed on his breaks, I ran clear into the intersection trying to miss him and the idiot behind him hit him. The person who did call the cops blamed the whole damn thing on me....
Other one, was riding around the streen running along the mall in town, lady thought she could beat me turning left, I ran straight into the side of her car, leaving five dents (bike tire, my knee, head, duffel bag and elbow) once I pryed myself off her car she yelled back and asked if I was ok, then took off....I was in front of a busy mall, people driving everywhere and no one said a word....I couldn't even see her damn car when she ran off.

Back