Woman pays $14,000 to rent rotary phone

spike

Woman paid thousands to rent rotary phone
Posted 9/14/2006 8:00 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this Subscribe to stories like this
CANTON, Ohio (AP) — A widow rented a rotary dial telephone for 42 years, paying what her family calculates as thousands of dollars for a now outdated phone.

Ester Strogen, 82, of Canton, first leased two black rotary phones — the kind whose round dial is moved manually with your finger — in the 1960s. Back then, the technology was new and most people had to rent telephones as part of their basic phone service. It was pre-AT&T when the telephone business was monopolized by the company known as "Ma Bell."

Bell was disbanded in 1983 and split into seven smaller companies and AT&T was given the right to handle long-distance and telephone-leasing services. From 1985 to 1986, customers who leased telephones were given the option to continue leasing, buy them or opt out of their agreements.

Until two months ago, Strogen was still paying AT&T to use the phones — $29.10 every three months, the phone company says. Strogen's granddaughters, Melissa Howell and Barb Gordon, ended the arrangement when they discovered the bills.

"I'm outraged," Gordon said. "It made me so mad. It's ridiculous. If my own grandmother was doing it, how many other people are?"

The number of customers leasing phones dropped from 40 million nationwide to about 750,000 today, said John Skalko, spokesman for Murray Hill, N.J.-based Lucent Technologies, a spinoff of AT&T that manages the residential leasing service.

"We will continue to lease sets as long as there is a demand for them," Skalko said.

Benefits of leasing include free replacements and the option of switching to newer models, he said.

Lucent said records show Strogen paid just under $2,000 to rent the two phones from 1985 until they were recently returned. Before 1985, the rental costs were part of basic phone service and not broken out, Skalko said Thursday.

Strogen's family estimates her payments topped $14,000 over more than 40 years.

Gordon said she believes the majority of people leasing are elderly and may not realize they are paying thousands of dollars for a telephone.

Skalko said bills are clearly marked, and customers can quit their lease any time by returning their phones.

Strogen says she's not a big fan of her new push-button phone.

"I'd like to have my rotary back," she said. "I like that better."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2006-09-14-phone_x.htm

makes ya wonder about the company- but even more about the ol' dears' "close" family...

probably most companies would hire out invisible paintings if there was a demand for them ... and charge regular servicing fees if they could ... not too mention upgrades - but wtf?

sheesh

worra bunch of jackals!

it's been going round and round in circles .... kinda thing could drive you round the bend! ;)

wotcha! :)

Back