wood houses, why?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
wood houses and hurricane = bad
wood houses and earthquake = bad
wood houses and insects = bad
wood houses and termintes = no house

why do so many people live in wood houses?

HeXp£Øi±

Because we have billions of trees.:)
In the state of Alaska each resident is permitted to take a certain number of board feet (so many trees) to build themselves a home. Forget the number but it's enough to build a couple of large three bedroom homes. Not bad considering it's free. Anyway, if built properly wooden homes are not only sturdy but beautiful.

Mirlyn

Tried the grapes thing.......just didn't hold out. Insurance was a pain in the foot anyway.

madrin

I think that's neat , Hex....I've always liked wood homes..like, cabins and such. Log cabins....

rustic and comforting....

MADrin

HeXp£Øi±

It's neat especially considering we have a large amount of yellow and red ceder. I'll definetly utilize this some time within the next few years. Yes log cabins...very large ones at that. Someday....

Mirlyn

Justintime said:
some people can't afford concrete houses maybe? :shrug:

My neighbor built his with the styrofoam/concrete mouldings. They're leaps and bounds stronger than the stickbuilt homes in terms of wind resistance (I think I read that they'll withstand 2x4s @ 80-90MPH...can anyone confirm that?). Very nice for this part of the country. I don't know the price difference....I'd have to ask my dad.

Mirlyn

The upright exterior walls are similar to these (poured concrete) and the roof is the same premade sytrofoam/board panels seen used on that page.

Luis G

Staff member
ohh, i've seen that type of cheap construction, if made properly it is solid, but not as solid as the old steel and brick stuff.

Mirlyn

I can't seem to find the exact block, but the ones they used looked something like this (looking down on the block:

----------------------------
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
----------------------------

All the holes were joined, so it created a solid, yet corrugated-like concrete wall unlike the flat-faced wall in the above link.

Inkara1

Wood houses built within the last 40-50 years or so withstand earthquakes pretty well in California.

A.B.Normal

Wood houses are easier to heat ,concrete holds the heat better ,but in Eastern Canada it would take for ever to warm up a concrete house :D

Luis G

Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Wood houses built within the last 40-50 years or so withstand earthquakes pretty well in California.

woah, that's some interesting news, gonna check on that.

but what abou hurricane?