woot woot, got another pair of amps

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Picked up a pair of rotel amplifiers at a great price. That gives me ten channels total towards the new home theater room, another ten to go and I'm all set. :)

:eek: Think I'll keep out of your way and keep my hearing intact... :lol: Isn't that a bit of overkill?

Which model? 1075?

I was *so* close to buying a 985 Mk II last month but that'd mean buying some decent rears and I really can't afford shit at the moment.

MuFu.

Actually, they're RB-981's. I had three, added two more this week, and just bid on a sixth. I'm pretty sure I'll use six RB-981's for center and surrounds (biamping each channel, with two speakers for the center channel). Haven't decided on mains yet. Either a pair of RB-991's (or 1080's), or a single 1090. Have to make up my mind whether to biamp the mains or not... probably will. The price would be the same either way. Also looking at other amps in case a good deal comes up (parasound, bryston, and aragon models are what I'm keeping an eye on).

And then there's the sub amps... probably just a pair of stereo prosound amps, maybe four smaller ones (depending on whether I want to drive them into 4 ohm or 8 ohm loads).

What's sad is that the HT room won't even be ready for me to begin the installation until the end of the year. I wasn't planning on buying components this early, but I can't pass up great deals. :)

I need to stop buying shit so I'll have enough money to make sure the house gets built. Otherwise I'll have the most jammin' cardboard box on the street! :lol:

Whoa, I thought you meant ten channels from the 2 you just bought. Didn't realise you had a stack of 981s already! :eek:

MuFu.

Well, right now it's a pair of SMGc's, a pair of MMG's, and the MGCC center channel.

I'm going to ditch the MGCC and replace it with a normal pair of Maggies (the horizontal dispersion on their centers is great, but low frequency extension and dynamics is kinda sad). Those will go behind an acoustically transparent screen, so I should be able to place them appropriately to make a hell of a center. Oh, biamped of course. :)

The SMGc's and MMG's will get demoted to side and rear surrounds. I'll supplement them with a midbass driver at each location covering the ~60Hz to ~180Hz range, actively crossed over and biamped of course. Probably a decent 8" or 10" driver from scanspeak or vifa... haven't decided though.

I'll add a pair of 3.6R's for the mains, and probably biamp those as well, though proper crossover integration will be trickier on those than on the other speakers.

For subs... I'll definitely ditch my Veodyne FSR10. Replacing it will be a stereo infinite baffle - a manifold on each side wall in the same arc as the L/C/R speakers. Something excessive... perhaps four Stryke AV15's on each side? :D

Holy shit, stereo infinite baffle?! Dude, you're crazy. I'd be content with a "feeble" pair of HGS-18s, LOL.

How big is this room? Got cinema seating/popcorn machine etc planned for it? :cool:

The room is 30' x 21' and has a 6' x 21' equipment closet in the rear for components (and house server, networking, sat and mic cable distribution, etc.).

I think I'm going to go for a bit less "traditional" theater, and use sectional couches and sofas for most of the seating (in two rows, with a rear riser of course).

outside looking in said:
I think I'm going to go for a bit less "traditional" theater, and use sectional couches and sofas for most of the seating (in two rows, with a rear riser of course).

I think the blackout, seating facing all in one direction, massive screen and speakers all over the place might make that "theatery" feel somewhat hard to avoid. :D

Sounds great anyway, dude. Post some pics when it's done or at least point us in the direction of AVS where no doubt you'll be getting some serious fellatio from the fellas there. :)

OMG!!! That'll totally blow, just like MuFu said :)

You gotta get some pics of that, I bet it'll look amazing.

Oh, and one of the best features about that will be the 2 rows of seating, with the rear row being lifted higher than the front row :cool: It'll look exactly like a proper theatre.

I know you are trying to stay away from that look though, so maybe I shouldn't have said that :confuse3:

Anyway, good luck with it and I hope it blows your ears off :D

Well, I added an RB-991 to the stack today. I need another one of those... should catch another great deal sometime in the next few months. This one came up unexpectedly.

I also added a pair of maggie 2.7/QR's to the mix. They'll probably serve duty as the new center channel (in a strange planar kind of MTM setup), but they sound so good I'm tempted to just add a matching pair for mains instead of the 3.6's I had planned on. Right now I'm just enjoying the improvement they offer over my SMGc's.

I really need to stop buying stuff.

Back