World Cup 2006...

AlladinSane

..is right around the corner.
How are your expectations? Your bets? How are your teams doing?
Let's hijack these forum for some weeks? :D

chcr

Too cute for words
The pres of FIFA says if the racist bullshit continues he may just bag the whole thing and walk away. I think there's too much money involved for that myself.

Part of me hopes an all black team from Africa dominates the tournament. I'll root for the US of course. There isn't really a team you can just point at and say, "I'll be shocked if they don't win" though.

AlladinSane

Well, they ARE saying that of Brazil. But I personally think our guys are just so full of themselves that it will be a big fiasco.

chcr

Too cute for words
AlladinSane said:
Well, they ARE saying that of Brazil. But I personally think our guys are just so full of themselves that it will be a big fiasco.
Well now, to be fair, you're in Brazil, aren't you? ;)

AlladinSane

chcr said:
Well now, to be fair, you're in Brazil, aren't you? ;)
Yup, but news come from all places about our favoritism. I read that Bookies in Asia are paying 2.6 per 1 (against 7.75 form England, second best). Even in Argentina they are talking about our chances(one can be very suspect of that). Personally I think Brazil don't win this one. So much fuss about it is never good. Look at Argentina last Cup. They were absolute favourites and didn't advance to second round. Argentina have a good team, as do Italy and England. And don't ever discard Germany. Ever.

unclehobart

*easy joke*

Because everyone that can run, dodge, sprint, and has endurance has already fled across the border into the US.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
AlladinSane said:

We're on the group D and we have it easy that far. My prediction is that Mexico and Portugal will make it to the 2nd round.

Now, the group C is made of Argentina, Netherlands, Serbia and Côte d'Ivore. Prediction is that Argentina and Netherlands will make it to the 2nd round.

On the second round, 1st of D faces 2nd of C and 2nd of D faces 1st of C. So we're going to face either Argentina or Netherlands, and we just aren't that good.

AlladinSane

Only surprise by now was Ivory Coast. Best african team I ever saw playing. The score didn't make justice. They put Argentina 'on the playground'. A Draw would be a more fair. That will be a chalenge for Netherlands for sure.