WTF moments

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I had one at 6:30 this morning...I was awaken by a bunch of small bangs followed by one big bang. I got out of bed, put some clothes on and came into the livingroom to find my DVD/CD tower (like 7 feet tall) and ALL of my DVDs and CDs (alot, the tower was full) on the floor...WTF

I went back to bed and left it like that, I'm about to pick it up now...

This is the tower btw:

31261_PE120477_S4.jpg

Earthquake? It IS possible to have one of those east of California, you know. Around these parts, something that tall and skinny (and thus with that high of a center of gravity) tends to get tethered to the wall to avoid that sort of thing.

I doubt it was an earthquake...nothing else was even shifted...

Oh, and the height of the centre of gravity has nothing to do with how wide something is (if it's a uniform width). Therefore my bookcase that is almost the same height and about 3 times wider should have been affected if it ONLY has to do with centre of gravity :p

Oh and it's getting tethered to the wall before I put any DVDs or CDs back in it...so, at this moment, I have stacks of CDs and DVDs on my livingroom floor...

Are your heavier books on the bottom shelf and your lighter books up top? You can do that to lower the center of gravity on a bookshelf... but on a CD/DVD tower, the discs are the same weight so you can't use creative space assignment to lower the center of gravity.

Inky, you're missing the point. A bunch of small bangs followed by one big one. The CDs fell out before the tower fell. Logically, the top disks would fall out first and straighten up the balance of the tower. Therefore ... something tipped it over slowly enough for the disks to fall out before gravity could take over and pull the entire unit over.

Try this one on for size. I had two new tires installed on the pickup prior to taking it up to the cottage for a week of labour. Wanted the pickup to carry some plywood for a floor repair. The hill up from our place isn't delivery truck friendly, and I'm the poor shit that's gotta fix it when a truck bogs. Well, i wake up the next morning to head up (I'm not the sort to drive any distance in a vehicle immediately after a repair .. even if it is just tires) I've got a flat. Shit happens, right? Take it back, to have it checked. The manager stops everything to take care of it. Pulls the senior guy off what he's doing to tank the tire. After 15 minutes ..... zip. Not even a single bubble. Maybe it was just a grain in the valvestem. It happens. They swap out the stem just to be on the safe side. Good to go, right? Well, as I said before ... I don't take a vehicle that's jsut been repaired. So I forgo the ply and take the Mirage. Get most of the work done. All week, the tire stays inflated. The morning I go to take the truck out .... on the rim flat. Maybe kids, you say? Nope. I parked it so that that tire was right against the fence. The only way to get to the valve was to move the truck forward several feet. Needless to say, I took the hint ... and the mirage.

Pfft, you guys and your fancy ideas. Let's get real here people.

Nixy: You have a poltergeist in your home.

I figured the series of small bangs was the discs falling out before the tower made the big bang. She never said how rapid the series of noises was.

1 - My book case doesn't have any books in it, all decorations and pictures and stuff so the only weight is the bookcase itself.

2 - It wasn't a cat, I don't have a cat, cats are evil.

3 - Inky: I dunno how fast the series of bangs were, I was asleep and it woke my up, my sense of time wasn't really active

4 - Starya: You might be right, because aswell of all of the stuff falling out first the unit was open side up (ie. it somehow fell AND twisted but nothing in the livingroom was damaged...and if anyone remembers from the pics I posted my livingroom isn't overly roomy)

OK, if it landed open side up, either your place is haunted and you should move, or someone was trying to rob you and you should invest in some guns.

Yeah, someone was robbing me in my livingroom and they somehow got out without me seeing them...even though my bedroom door is between the livingroom and exit door...

It could've been a really skinny thief and hid behind something...

Ok, that doesn't make any sense...and, can you please not talk about people breaking into my apartment, I like being able to sleep.

Earthquake? It IS possible to have one of those east of California, you know. Around these parts, something that tall and skinny (and thus with that high of a center of gravity) tends to get tethered to the wall to avoid that sort of thing.

Indeed. We get them here. I have been awakened many times by pictures on the wall rattling and the windows rattling and a deep thundering sound coming from under the house. It only lasts a few seconds.

Back