WTF to do?

so there i am all ready to sleep when i get a call from a guy i'm working with at 1:30AM, asking me like if it was 1pm how to do something with the LAN at the school hes working on. (can't work during school hours). He works for the people that employed me and i can't exactly tell him off, but how exactly does one set boundries when ones supposed to be available any time? I'm getting close to 4000 quid for this job btw, so the money is kinda keeping me in it :grumpy:

I don't know how much 4000 quid is...sounds like ALOT....but I would make a point of turning the ringer off and the answering machine ALL the way down...and the cell off, after, say, 9pm. Be sure to return his call...very politely, of course....at the crack of dawn. Sorry I missed your call mate, what can I do to help?

Justintime said:
but how exactly does one set boundries when ones supposed to be available any time?

I take it you're sub-contracting here. You're screwed this time. In the future, do as Prof said and put a little clause in your contract that states after hour calls will be billed seperate from the contract. That's all you can do.

I did specify time +half for after 11 calls and support. Talked to the boss and he says what? no... but i've got it in writing and signed that he agreed, whats really taking the mick is they know theres a dispute and yet still have the gall to call me up knowing that fully well. What i have done is turn down my phone and mobile is off. Q, its 4000 pounds, roughly 7000 US i guess, but i have calculated that i'd spend about 1200 on material so minus that from salary.

Gonz said:
Justintime said:
how exactly does one set boundries when ones supposed to be available any time?

That means there are no boundries

I should've made it clearer at first post, but i have it signed and its with my solicitor as of today in the event of any legal dispute. The sad part is that this company is a joke, they don't have proper ways of making payment and setting timetables and i may have gotten myself in a mess.

Hmm. Been there, an agreement to be paid 4,000 is worthless if the company won't or can't pay it.

But... If you've got it in writing that after 11 is time and a half, start billing for anything. Don't wait til the job is over, start billing for the extras now.

I would'nt mind so much if they'd actually held up what they signed to, but it seems theres not communication between head and workers, typical, they have no idea ofmy dispute is what feedback i'm getting, of course it could be BS but i believe them so far.

Very likely they don't know unless they are part owners. Quite frankly it's none of their business.

I'm actually not going to be a fool and go make a scene, this is going to be handled legally, the money i don't care for it'll probably cost me more this way but the principle here is that no one walks over my ass.

Back