www.weather.com

greenfreak

Thank you for visiting weather.com and The Weather Channel! As a result of the current severe weather situation, weather.com is delivering storm information to millions of users. Although we are unable to accommodate your request at this time, we would like to present you with the latest news and information on the path of the storm. We ask that you please try to reach us again in a few minutes

Wow. They must be busy.

Snow is coming down at a clip, I just wanted to see the map so I could see the direction of the storm. Sometimes it will go north of where I am and we get lucky.

That website is great, I'm not surprised there are so many people using it.

Seems fine to me. Is it just the NY zip codes that show up with that error?

I went to weatherbug. It updates every 4-7 minutes instead of every hour+. Its a proggy that runs in your system tray as a realtime thermometer that you can open to see radars, cameras, ...pretty much everything you need. I haven't been back to the weather channel site since.

http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/index.asp

Yeah, I had to put in my zip code first and I got that message. I guess they're getting a lot of requests from people in the Northeast. I just wanted to see the maps and I can go through that without doing the zip code.

greenfreak said:
Thank you for visiting weather.com and The Weather Channel! As a result of the current severe weather situation, weather.com is delivering storm information to millions of users. Although we are unable to accommodate your request at this time, we would like to present you with the latest news and information on the path of the storm. We ask that you please try to reach us again in a few minutes

I had the same problem

I don't like the pop-under ads on weather.com... although accuweather is no better. Accuweather seems to be a bit more accurate, though, in my experience.

Isn't weatherbug spyware?

I see weatherbug on people's pc's all the time, it's annoying to me. I have some kind of pop up killer at home so I don't normally notice the pop up ads.

The accumulation turned out to be nothing but the initial layer of ice, the snow on top of that, and more ice on top of the snow really made driving screwed up. I left at 4:30 because Rusty's office closed early and didn't get home till 6:45.

I bought a cool suction cup window thermometer yesterday. It has F & C ....but nobody want to hear what the temp is here :mope:

I don't know if Weatherbug is spyware or not. I run spybot quite frequently and I haven't noticed any overtly naughty spyware accumulation. If it has pop ups ... Ive never seen those either.

Lastly, WeatherBug and WebShots are two very common "free" programs that have been suspected of being spyware. However, they do not appear to be. WeatherBug does ask a lot of questions and is paid for by advertising (unless you subscribe) but other than the information explicitly asked for during the installation, it does not transmit personal information. WeatherBug has in the past asked to install Gator or OfferCompanion but tests we ran showed it no longer asked and the programs were not installed afterward (Though the web site says they were offered to "some" users.) WebShots installs the NewDotNet program, which is suspected as being spyware but not proven. Nonetheless it has caused problems for some people with their network connection, and there is no easy way to remove it because when installed with WebShots it does not put an entry into Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel.

http://www.its.ipfw.edu/helpdesk/spyware.html

Looks OK. OTOH, if webshots carries NewDotNet, avoid it like the fucking plague. That stuff is evil, and a chrome-plated bitch to remove. Took me 25 minutes of registry diving to get it off a client's machine once.

Well, I've got both Webshots and Weatherbug on my system, and haven't found spyware from either. What does this NewDotNet do anyway? It doesn't sound like they know for sure.

Security issues
Yes. The new.net software downloads and silently executes arbitrary code from its controlling server, as an update feature.

Stability problems
At least some older versions of the plug-in have been known to crash IE regularly. Newer versions seem to be less problematic, but as with all Winsock2 LSPs, clashes with other LSP-based software or damage to the software itself can result in network connectivity being broken.

Removal
If you have the variant that installs into Program Files, open the 'NewDotNet' folder in Program Files and run the 'uninstall' program. If this folder does not exist, try opening the Control Panel and looking in the 'Add/Remove Programs' list.

In the case of older versions where NewDotNet is not in the list, you could try installing a new version and then using the uninstall feature. Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware 6 also remove NewDotNet.

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NewDotNet.html

Older versions were NOT this easy to get rid of.

Ok, I run Adaware and Spybot every couple of weeks, so If I had it, I'm sure it's gone now, and I haven't had any trouble with Webshots, so it must not have been linked to it like some of them are.

Back