You can now order dual-core desktops.

HomeLAN

Alienware, Dell and lesser-known maker Velocity Micro are among the first to begin taking orders on dual-core desktops. Their machines are based on Intel's Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 840 processor, the first dual-core PC processor to hit the market. The chip contains twin 3.2GHz processor cores; its companion Intel 955X Express chipset fosters faster memory and other improvements.

The desktops, which start at about $2,300 to $3,000, are aimed at home multimedia and gaming enthusiasts who want the latest technology, as well as professionals in areas such as video editing.

SOurce

catocom

I've been waiting for some time now for software co.s or MS, or linux...
to come up with more programs, or some kind of compatibility for multiprocessing.
I can make a super-computer easily now. There's just nothing that can take
full advantage of it though. :confused:
They've got this, and hyperthreading, but we need something that works the
opposite way. :alienhuh:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
what do you mean by the opposite way, back to single cores? AFAIK, the current schemes for pumping processor muscle have been pushed to the limits, making multiple cores the new trick for the foreseeable future. there have been a couple very good articles i read recently about the move to dual cores and the pros and cons of each. i'll see if i can dig them up

catocom

nope. Keep the dualies, but make it look like one.
I wish there was a way to make 10 processors look like one big one.