‘Pot pills’ go on trial in Britain

HeXp£Øi±

Scientists seek to ‘scientifically acquire anecdotal evidence’

By Emily Stephens
NBC NEWS

LONDON, Aug. 21 — In the latest sign of medical marijuana hitting mainstream medical practice, British scientists say they will use the drug in pain-reducing clinical trials involving some 400 post-operative patients here.
THE STUDY, announced by the British Medical Research Council, is particularly poignant in Britain, where the government’s view on marijuana is seen as more relaxed than in the United States. Partly to free up officers needed to fight serious crime, British police have taken a “softly-softly” approach to smoking marijuana in public places in London. In the past year, cannabis cafes also have been testing the law.
The clinical trail will use cannabis capsules, called Cannador, to test their effect on patients needing pain medication. Regularly prescribed painkillers and placebos will be used to control the study.
Similar studies with so-called “pot pills” have been performed in the United States, with doctors saying cannabis shows no more effective than codeine in pain reduction. However, British scientists and the Berlin-based Society of Ontological and Immunological Research, the developer of Cannador, say they hope the new pills — containing more extracts, or cannabinoids, from the marijuana plant — will have a more pronounced affect on pain sufferers.

SEEKING SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE
In a statement on Wednesday, the Medical Research Council said it wants to “scientifically acquire anecdotal evidence of the efficaciousness of cannabis in pain-relief.” Cannabis has a long history of use in Britain, dating back to Victorian times when Queen Victoria is said to have taken it for menstrual pains. Her doctor once described marijuana as “one of the most valuable medicines we possess.”
The invention of the syringe at the end of the 19th century nearly spelled the end to the use of medical marijuana in Britain, because cannabis cannot dissolve in water and quickly enter the bloodstream.
Research shows that oral administration of cannabis hampers its effectiveness because of the slow absorption rate. Many sufferers of diseases alleviated by cannabis — like multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, migraines and arthritis — simply smoke the drug which, despite the harmful side effects of smoking, gives many sufferers relief within minutes.
Seeking a solution to the problem, British biotech firm G.W. Pharmaceuticals has developed a cannabis spray, whose effects could be felt faster than waiting for a capsule to ingest and be released into the bloodstream.
Sylvia Barber of Bayer pharmaceutical company, manufacturers of G.W Pharmaceuticals’ products, said researchers are awaiting government approval of their product.
“The proposal was issued to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency in March of this year, and we are still awaiting approval. We have submitted the product for the treatment of the symptoms of [multiple sclerosis] and neuropathic pain.”
She added that G.W Pharmaceuticals is still doing extensive research into the spray’s application to other medical conditions.
The British Medical Research Council said it hopes the results of its study will be ready for publication within a year.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/955449.asp?0cv=CB20&cp1=1

chcr

Too cute for words
It's an excellent headache remedy, and I'm told really helps menstrual cramps as well.

tonksy

Re: ‘Pot pills’ go on trial in Britain

Rose said:
Pot or the new pills?

i am certainly very satisfied with the results of my own private study of the effects of marijuana on my person.

chcr

Too cute for words

Well now Rose, I haven't tried the pills yet, now have I???? :p

Rose

*lol* Rose doesn't think straight sometimes, sober or stoned.

Chcr - you are correct about the menstrual relief provided by pot, though. I believe that is the reason I ever tried pot in the first place. Of course, now I use it for all sorts of pain (and pleasure).

Oz

The clinical trail will use cannabis capsules, called Cannador, to test their effect on patients needing pain medication.

My name is Squeaky......and I'll be the guinea pig for the duration of these tests :)

My qualifications include hording sunflower seeds and sleeping all day............and I can rustle up a little period pain if necessary

Oz

Mare said:
Wish they would -it would be great over here for cancer patients.....

And for Mutliple Scleoricis (sp?) sufferers........'tis proven to reduce the effects of that horrible affliction, but they still won't legally release it :eh: :(