15 Brits arrested by Iran

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You checked wrong.

Congress must vote for war. The President in Commander in Chief. He can initiate cause but there must be an okay, or at least a plausible lack of denial, for action.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You checked wrong.

Congress must vote for war. The President in Commander in Chief. He can initiate cause but there must be an okay, or at least a plausible lack of denial, for action.

Then it must be a Republican plot to keep our troops in the area. After all...those GPS satellites are owned and operated by the US government, right? :devious:

MrBishop

You checked wrong.

Ya got war on the mind, Gonz?

Sending a few big ships to patrol the border between Iran and Iraqi waters..with guns 'accidentally' aimed well into Iranian territory speaks volumes. Maybe a nice naval exercise. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Last week, Rosie told folks to "Google Gulf of Tonkin". She said there was information there.

I wonder, did she mean before or after the N Vietnamese torpedoed American ships?

Cerise

Either come to the table or be jugded by your lack of support.
BB

3525122_main.jpg

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't ;)

spike

There's some question over whether this is related too.

In Baghdad, an Iraqi official said his government had exerted pressure on those holding Sharafi in order to gain his release. Sharafi was released Monday and returned to Tehran on Tuesday.

The Iraqi official would not say who had held the diplomat. But another senior Iraqi official said Sharafi had been held by Iraqi intelligence. Both Iraqi officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information.

Sharafi was seized on Feb. 4 by uniformed gunmen in Karradah, a Shiite-controlled district of Baghdad. Iran contended he had been seized by an Iraqi military unit commanded by U.S. military forces — a charge repeated by several Iraqi Shiite lawmakers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17909589/

BB

3525122_main.jpg

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't ;)

A fair comment, sure enough.

But that's the current situation -

like it or lump it - you guys have decisions to make on this, and given the internal flux here in the UK - i'd suggest you do not rest on your laurels - because i fear it would only take a minor home-interest spark to fire this particular wagon ...

and i don't see that playing out well for either the US or Britain. :shrug:

Whatever the realities of world policing - Isolantionism at this point isn't a great idea. Not for you or for us - and we play a very genuine but 'hedge-bets' game- :shrug:

For all our genuine ties - language, friends, family, roots, business, Culture, history etc etc - i'd frankly like to see (from our point of view) some equal support - and oh boy! ol' Blair has been sacrificed for his REAL support - to both Clinton and GW Bush ...

The feeling here, is very much you guys are taking the piss ...

I'd like to see you guys at least 'do as you wish others do onto you ...'

y'know?

I only say this because i see little in the US media or response here on it.

The spark potential is VERY real - and - whatever the situation - i just do not see that end-game as a good result for either of us at the momment -

- and i say that with 'reality' hat on - regardless of any personal views.

Best, BB

chcr

Too cute for words
TEHRAN, Iran - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran would free the 15 detained British sailors and marines Wednesday as an Easter holiday "gift" to the British people.

He said the captives, who were seized while on patrol in the northern Persian Gulf on March 23, would be taken to the airport at the end of the news conference that he was addressing. An Iranian official in London said they would be handed over to British diplomats in Tehran.

The release of the crew members would end a 13-day standoff between London and Tehran that was sparked when the crew was seized as it searched for smugglers off the Iraqi coast. Britain denied Iranian claims the crew had entered Iranian waters.

Recent days saw talk of direct negotiations between Britain and Iran, and a decrease in tensions that had risen after Iran broadcast videos in which female British sailor Faye Turney and others "confessed" to violating Iranian territorial waters, and Britain expressed outrage.

"On the occasion of the birthday of the great prophet (Muhammad) ... and for the occasion of the passing of Christ, I say the Islamic Republic government and the Iranian people — with all powers and legal right to put the soldiers on trial — forgave those 15," he said, referring to the Muslim prophet's birthday on March 30 and the Easter holiday.

"This pardon is a gift to the British people," he said.

The surprise announcement came shortly after Ahmadinejad pinned a medal on the chest of the Iranian coast guard commander who intercepted the sailors and marines.
Translation: I've yanked your chain enough for right now.

Link

I hope everyone notices that this one is a lot smarter than Saddam.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Iran is freeing the 15 UK sailors and marines taken captive in the Shatt al Arab waterway 13 days ago as a "gift" to Britain.

SkyNews

I bet Sir Winston is just nashing at his cigar as the worlds greatest Navy is reduced to begging the likes of Wantsajihadman. Taken, by orders, without a shot.

Glad they're out safe but sometimes it's just not worth playing it safe. Had Jiminy Carter ended the hostage crisis 30 years ago, we'd not be where we are today.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You're right, go ahead & allow the enemy to board your vessel & take your military prisoner. Maybe next time they'll take the whole ship.

Hostile actions require hostile retaliations.

I hope everyone notices that this one is a lot smarter than Saddam.

As you can plainly see.

chcr

Too cute for words

I've talked my way out of a lot more fights than I've been in myself. Of course, I'm not so insecure about the size of my dick as some guys. :lol:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
History has shown that, without swift & decisive action, these types of conflicts only escalate.

MrBishop

You're right, go ahead & allow the enemy to board your vessel & take your military prisoner. Maybe next time they'll take the whole ship.

As you can plainly see.

You did see what kind of dingy the Brits were floating around in, right?

The headline would've been
"15 Brits killed in action with Iranian navy"
quickly followed by
"Iranian ship sunk by British Friggate"
and
"Iran declares war on the UK"
and maybe
"Iran forces congregating on Iran/Iraq border"

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They were in a dinghy. There were real vessels there who were ordered to stand down.

MrBishop

Wouldn't have stopped them from being killed if they'd opened fire...and like I said "Iranian ship sunk by British Frigate"

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The line in the sand continues to move ever westward.

"I dare you to cross this line".

"Okay, I dare you to cross this line".

"I dare you to cross this line".

"I double dog dare you to cross this line".

Hey, isn't that the Eiffel Tower?