1983 Beruit barrack bombing lawsuit

Dave

Devlin is among 30 Massachusetts relatives of victims of the Beirut attack who have been fighting for more than a decade to get compensation for what many consider the first major terrorist attack against the United States. After a federal judge ruled in 2007 that Iran was liable for $2.65 billion in damages to be shared by 150 families seeking restitution, they believed they were on the cusp of victory.

But now, the Obama administration is going to court to try to block payments from Iranian assets that the families’ lawyers want seized, contending that it would jeopardize sensitive negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program and establish a potentially damaging precedent.

link

Thoughts?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Every move this guy makes is an attack on our nation & her people. How much longer can it go on?

jimpeel

Anything that might produce a positive result is anathema to this administration.

Black kids get a better education through the DC voucher program? He crushes the program.

New Black Panthers stand in front of the polls threatening people by their presence and the administration kills the prosecution against these urban terrorists.

Families might actually get some remuneration for the loss of their loved ones by Muslim extremist terrorists and the administration stands firmly against it.

Nothing to see here folks. Nothing new.

Winky

83 Beruit bombing lawsuit.

Davey no surprises there.

I dread that I have become quite inured
to the whole sorted business.

There is no longer anything this administration
can do that will surprise me.

There is nothing left to stand in their way.

The only thing left that even begins to vaguely
pique my curiosity in the least is how much
more will the American population stand for???

Ah but sadly we know the score; they’ll never lift a finger
to slow the progression towards the inevitable consequences.

Resistance is indeed futile.
Lay back and enjoy the ride.

Dave

I wasn't even thinking of the Obama angle on this.

What got me was the fact US lawyers were suing a foreign government for restitution for an attack that took place in a completely different country. I understand the families are going after the Iranian assets in the US and that here in the US, cash cures all heartaches but this just struck me initially as a bit over the top.

catocom

struck....
Lightning crashes, a new mother cries
Her placenta falls to the floor
The angel opens her eyes, the confusion sets in
Before the doctor can even close the door

Lightning crashes, an old mother dies
Her intentions fall to the floor
The angel closes her eyes, the confusion that was hers
Belongs now, to the baby down the hall

Oh now feel it comin' back again
Like a rollin' thunder chasing the wind
Forces pullin' from the center of the earth again
I can feel it

Lightning crashes, a new mother cries
This moment she's been waiting for
The angels open her eyes, pale blue colored iris
Presents the sun and puts th glory out to hide, hide

Oh, now feel it comin' back again
Like a rollin' thunder chasing the wind
Forces pullin' from the center of the earth again
I can feel it

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I wasn't even thinking of the Obama angle on this.

What got me was the fact US lawyers were suing a foreign government for restitution for an attack that took place in a completely different country. I understand the families are going after the Iranian assets in the US and that here in the US, cash cures all heartaches but this just struck me initially as a bit over the top.

We're still in court over the lost property in Cuba. Court is supposed to be the civil way to wage war.

spike

Every move this guy makes is an attack on our nation & her people. How much longer can it go on?

No, everything the last president did was an attack on our nation and her people. But you tried to blame all that stuff on Congress.

Dave

Families might actually get some remuneration for the loss of their loved ones by Muslim extremist terrorists...

This is what got me about the article.

These were active duty US military personnel stationed in an area not sympathetic to the West. Doesn't that place them in harms way and how does that get translated to a class action lawsuit against a foreign government?

Advise me oh Great Partisan Bickering Overlords. :retard: :D

ResearchMonkey

I've never read the court documents but you I'm sure you could find them. My guess is that the state sponsored the terrorism at some level, support, training or money. If the state has assets here with no formal declaration of war, that might be the connection.

Regardless, if the court has found in favor of the families, who the president to decline the judgment and why exactly?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They weren't stationed in Iran, but Lebanon. The attacks came from an Iranian government backed terrorist group (linked to or cover for Hezbollah).

Questionable tactic. However, courttooms do provide a safer battle ground.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No, everything the last president did was an attack on our nation and her people. But you tried to blame all that stuff on Congress.

I didn't say Bush did it. But many thought Bush continously attacked the nation. We elected a new leader to go in a new direction. Now the hardcotre bushies don't like it.

BUSH DID IT!!!!!

Someday, we can hope, there will be a response that doesn't parrot the original post or blame GW.

spike

OBAMA DID IT!

I hope you'll make a post that doesn't contain made up fantasy fear mongering one day.