2 quick ones off the top of my head...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I thought Mitsubishi meant "metal bits"...:confused: My Japanese is a bit rusty, though...

unclehobart

*poor mocking toned Japanese accent*

You faiwl to understwand the powetry of the languige of Japon because you have the simpwistic mind of a gaijin. Let us meditate upon this wisdom.

unclehobart

The name "Mitsubishi" refers to the three-diamond emblem. "Mitsubishi" is a combination of the words mitsu and hishi. Mitsu means three. Hishi means water chestnut, and Japanese have used the word for a long time to denote a rhombus or diamond shape. Japanese often bend the "h" sound to a "b" sound when it occurs in the middle of a word. So they pronounce the combination of mitsu and hishi as mitsubishi.

(lifted from a Mitsubishi corporate history page)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
unclehobart said:
The name "Mitsubishi" refers to the three-diamond emblem. "Mitsubishi" is a combination of the words mitsu and hishi. Mitsu means three. Hishi means water chestnut, and Japanese have used the word for a long time to denote a rhombus or diamond shape. Japanese often bend the "h" sound to a "b" sound when it occurs in the middle of a word. So they pronounce the combination of mitsu and hishi as mitsubishi.

(lifted from a Mitsubishi corporate history page)

[Ed McMahon]You are correct[/Ed McMahon]

I was thinking tetsu bishi. ;)

Inkara1

Really? I thought you were referring to the quality scandal they had in Japan, where the brakes on their heavy trucks would quit working and cause accidents, and the company covered it up for 20 years.