30 minute stock crash

spike

$1 trillion question mark hangs over Wall St.
Focus appears to be on how high-speed trading networks function

A day after a harrowing plunge in the stock market, federal regulators were still unable on Friday to answer the one question on every investor’s mind: What caused that near panic on Wall Street?

Through the day and into the evening, officials from the Securities and Exchange Commission and other federal agencies hunted for clues amid a tangle of electronic trading records from the nation’s increasingly high-tech exchanges.

But, maddeningly, the cause or causes of the market’s wild swing remained elusive, leaving what amounts to a $1 trillion question mark hanging over the world’s largest, and most celebrated, stock market.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The initial focus of the investigations appeared to center on the way a growing number of high-speed trading networks interact with one another and with venerable exchanges like the New York Stock Exchange. Most investors are unaware that these competing systems have fractured the traditional marketplace and have displaced exchanges like the Big Board as the dominant force in stock trading.

More
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37032532/ns/business-the_new_york_times/

I know jimpeel is trying to blame it on Obama's policies but that's just crazy. It would have to be some policy that was in place for 30 minutes.

It is crazy that they don't know what caused it yet though.

jimpeel

Expect more of the same.

The problem with computers is they do exactly what we tell them to do.

SOURCE

Updated May 08, 2010
Computer Trading Eyed in Wall Street's Mystery Plunge

The Wall Street Journal

Debate over what caused the roller coaster day on Wall Street Thursday turns to rapid-fire computer trading and complex trading systems as mystery chaos is investigated.

Traders parsing the mystery of Thursday's stomach-churning stock-market plunge are focusing on whether rapid-fire computer trading, coupled with the market's complex trading systems, triggered a free fall that appears to have begun with an order to sell a single stock.

A big order to sell Procter & Gamble Co. shares came a little after 2:40 p.m., when the stock market was already jittery over turmoil in Greece. Minutes later, the market plunged, ultimately declining nearly 1000 points before rebounding rapidly.

The sell order was sent to the New York Stock Exchange, where it caused a log-jam in trading. Suddenly, P&G shares, among the market's most stable, fell about 35%.

It's not clear precisely how the P&G trade affected other securities. But the tumbling blue-chip stock helped drag down the Dow Jones index. Traders believe the big drop in P&G was picked up by computer models, which set off a chain reaction of selling in other stocks.

The violent fall has prompted an examination of the limitations of existing market "circuit breakers" and exposed weaknesses brought about by the changes in the character of modern stock markets, where most trading takes place at high speed between computers, rather than directly between human brokers.

At a minimum, traders said, the selloff shows that regulatory oversight of stock trading has not kept up with the changing nature of trading.

"There's no mechanism in the current system to stop an error from crushing a stock," said Dan Mathisson, head of electronic trading at Credit Suisse. "The regulators will need to explore restricting the use of market orders, or adding some type of circuit breakers."

Over the past two decades, stock trading has gone from a relatively transparent network of human "market makers" executing buy and sell orders at a handful of exchanges to an almost entirely computer-driven system fragmented among dozens of players. And regulators don't have the ability to directly monitor many of these new players.

Thursday's trading "clearly exposed the flaws in the current system," said William O'Brien, chief executive of Direct Edge, an electronic exchange. "We need to learn from this."

President Barack Obama said regulators "are evaluating this closely with a concern for protecting investors and preventing this from happening again." A House subcommittee set a hearing for Tuesday to investigate.

jimpeel

We'll see what happens on Monday.

SOURCE

Updated May 08, 2010
Eurozone Leaders Act to Stop Greek Crisis From Spreading

SkyNews

During a late-night summit in Brussels, the 16 heads of the single currency countries said they were ready to take whatever steps were required to protect the stability of the euro area.

Eurozone leaders have agreed to put emergency measures in place before the financial markets open again to prevent the debt crisis in Greece spreading to other countries.

During a late-night summit in Brussels, the 16 heads of the single currency countries said they were ready to take whatever steps were required to protect the stability of the euro area.

The leaders agreed to set up a crisis fund for all members to dip into in times of financial difficulty.

They also pledged to take "all measures needed" to speed up the process of reining in their national debts.

And they promised to strengthen financial governance, with tighter economic surveillance, more closely coordinated policies and more rigid rules on debt and deficit levels.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the "stabilization" fund would send "a very clear signal" to market speculators to back off.

Click here for more on this story from SkyNews.com.

MrBishop

The PIGS situation is unrelated to the stock dump from last week..with one exception. It's making people nervous and nervous people would rather get out of a market rather than invest in one.

valkyrie

The PIGS situation is unrelated to the stock dump from last week..with one exception. It's making people nervous and nervous people would rather get out of a market rather than invest in one.
The Stock Market Crash of 1929
October 29, 1929, "Black Tuesday," is known as the worst day in stock market history. There were so many orders to sell that the ticker quickly fell behind. (By the end of close, it had lagged to 2 1/2 hours behind.) People were in a panic; they couldn't get rid of their stocks fast enough. Since everyone was selling and nearly no one was buying, stock prices collapsed.

It is always best to buy when others are selling and sell when others are buying. That's how I bought Ford stock at $1.30/share.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It took 20 years & a world war to get out of that mess.

Too bad Hoover & FDR didn't use Hardings methodology.

MrBishop

The Stock Market Crash of 1929

It is always best to buy when others are selling and sell when others are buying. That's how I bought Ford stock at $1.30/share.

Not really... buy when you think a stock's bottomed out or come close AND you feel that the stock is worth more than it's current rate.

I have a friend who despite advice against it..bought a share all the way down from $123/ch to nearly being delisted. Lost a fuckin' mint.

*Nortel: Now on sale for $0.05 each
nortel-front-nyse-2.gifquote

catocom

401Ks, are like hedging on the lottery for your retirement.
Always have been.
I got in on that years ago when it was a new thing, then I figured out what it really was, and got out.

Diversity doesn't necessarily mean safety in the market.
SafER, but still not Safe.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The market has always risen, over time.

If your 401(k) isn't skyrocketing (mine isn't), that's OK...dollar cost averaging. Don't sell when it's losing.

valkyrie

Not really... buy when you think a stock's bottomed out or come close AND you feel that the stock is worth more than it's current rate.

I have a friend who despite advice against it..bought a share all the way down from $123/ch to nearly being delisted. Lost a fuckin' mint.

*Nortel: Now on sale for $0.05 each
nortel-front-nyse-2.gifquote
Nortel was using outdated PBX technology. You have to understand what you're buying before you buy it. If you're not sure what the company sells then don't buy the stock. That's my motto.

I bought Spansion stock at 0.20 cents a share. They went into bankruptcy but has come out more profitable than before. I don't know if I lost the stock in the bankruptcy or not. They used to be SPSN but can't find that.

valkyrie

The stock for Nortel dropped radically over a very short timeline... it wasn't linked to their product it was a 'run'. They rarely make any sense whatsoever..it's panic, pure and simple.

The company itself is still strong... despite the stock's performance.
http://www2.nortel.com/go/news_detail.jsp?cat_id=-8055&oid=100267233&locale=en-US&lcid=-1
Was this before or after they declared bankruptcy? :D

Dude, I know what I speak of when it comes to Nortel. They were way behind the times. When they began to change it was too little too late. We still have some ancient Nortel PBX switches in our environment. We've been slowly yanking them and putting in an IP Telephony system that runs over our IP network.