$50 or a SCSI non-raid controller and two IBM 4.5 gig drives

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Beats me. The drives are actually 5430mb but the closest thing I could find on Pricewatch is 4.5, and the only 5.4 gig listed on IBM's (Hitachi's?) site is an IDE drive. :shrug:

They don't take 50-pin connectors though. Looks more like a parallel port compressed and with more pins packed in. I dunno if that helps. :retard:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
take the $50. & run. It's gettting too complicated:
fury said:
They don't take 50-pin connectors though. Looks more like a parallel port compressed and with more pins packed in. I dunno if that helps

tommyj27

Not really Banned
are they external units? if they are i'm with gonz, sounds like it's getting expensive too...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
No, they're internal. I just thought it'd be neat to try them out. But I guess judging from the less than encouraging reaction, they're not worth the $50?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the card (Adaptec 2940something) on Pricewatch for $30 and two IBM 4.5 drives for $15 each which is what prompted me to try and go for this combo.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'd take the 50. You can buy 80 gigs of drive for 100, and those sound old, probably slow.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OK. I'm prolly gonna need the extra $50 to be able to afford this Radeon 9800 Pro anyway. My paycheck is gonna be around $360 plus $11 for gas used on service calls, and I only have $14 in my wallet right now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
fury said:
I only have $14 in my wallet right now.

I'd like to be the first one to officially welcome you to the world of "making a living". My condolences. :wave:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
if i remember the card right it's am ultra2 or an ultra wide card 40mb/s i think, it'd be nice to play with but not really useful.

Professur

Card wise, you can do a lot better. Now if there were three or four drives like that, you could learn how to make RAIDs.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
that'd be nice i was thinking about that last fall with an array of full height 5.25" 20gb disks. it's kind of difficult finding chassis space for 5 8lb. beasts though

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'm thinking erector sets. You could build a nice drive assembly out of an erector set. :headbang: