$50 or a SCSI non-raid controller and two IBM 4.5 gig drives

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I know I'm gonna regret it. I don't even have a good RAID controller to use them on.

I have an ATA66 drive that I assigned to my K6-2 450 and the onboard controller is ATA33... so I bought a SIIG ATA133 RAID controller for $55 but it doesn't let you boot off of a CD while it's hooked up...

alex

I guess my thread didn't get posted before the crash.

I've got a Promise 6195 ATA100 controller that I'll never use. It came bundled with a MSI K7T Pro mobo. It's yours if you need it.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
How much? Does it allow you to hook up CD-ROM's and boot from them, or boot from CD-ROM's on the integrated controller on the mobo? :beerbang:

alex

I used it for about six months cause I had five IDE devices. I hooked my zip drive to it, then I got a RAID mobo and didn't need it anymore. I don't remember having any particular issues with it....worked fine. I'm pretty sure I booted from CD and reinstalled everything on that puter after I installed that controller. Why would a second controller not let you boot from cd anyway?

I've got a shitload of other stuff I'm never gonna use....64mb pc100, p90 chip, 2 - cyrix 233 chips, Dlink USB to Ethernet adapter, 2 fried XP1800 chips.:p ....and a few other things.

If you need any of this stuff, I'll donate it.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of fried XP 1800 chips, eh? Colonel Sanders would be jealous :D

I can make one of my own fried 1800+ though, if I need to. Pretty simple actually, just need to yank off the heatsink. :beerbang:

alex said:
Why would a second controller not let you boot from cd anyway?
That's what I was asking myself when I put my cheapo RAID in my K6-2 450. I installed it, put the hard drive on it, and slapped in the Windblows 98 cd to see what I could do with it (the BIOS was set to boot off CD-ROM and floppy before hard drive), and lo and behold, it booted off of the hard drive straight into the win95 I had in there previously (twice as fast as before, of course).

So I tried to hook the CD-ROM up to it and the RAID controller yelled at me. "Please do not connect ATAPI devices to the RAID controller" :tardbang:

Then I tried to put in a bootable 98 startup disk and it STILL ignored me and went straight to the hard drive.

I suppose since the K6-2 system only fits 2 sticks of ram (got a 64 and a 32), that machine's only good for playing Tyrian now anyhow, so I don't really need to use the card to boot up Windows in 30 seconds as opposed to 60. But still I would be afraid to use this thing for one of my main machines, due to the bootup quirks and lack of real documentation.

Anyways... I'll take the RAID card if you're not using it. You want me to cover anything? Shipping? (My zip code is 46142 if you want to do an estimate)

alex

My K7T Turbo RAID mobo's not only have a boot sequence setting, but also has a seperate Promise/SCSI boot order.

I'm sorry, it's not a RAID card, just ATA100 :bolt:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, my bad. I have Promise == "RAID" etched into my head (I guess they make the best RAID cards or something and I thought that's all they made)

I already have ATA100 on-board with my Soltek board, I think.