A couple airline questions

spike

I'm flying to New York on the 26th to visit some friends. I just noticed that my Driver's License has recently expired. I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to renew it but last time I did that it took 10 days or so for them to send it to me.

They gave a paper that was considered a valid driver's license last time. My question is though if I show up at the airport with an expired license with a picture and a valid paper license am I going to have any trouble?

Also, I have the idea that electronics are no longer allowed on the planes but my girlfriend thinks we can bring the laptop in carry on. I'm thinking we have to pack it in the non-carry on luggage.

Professur

Yup. The rules are changing daily.

Last time I flew, my laptop was allowed carry on on a 767, but had to ride cargo on a Dash 8, same airline.

rrfield

I flew a few weeks ago, I was able to carry on my laptop. Airtran airlines, Boeing 737. I'd hate to check the laptop, I don't trust the airlines with it.

Inkara1

You can take most electronics on the plane with you. I had my laptop and el cheapo mp3 player with me. They have to be shut off during takeoff and landing, but otherwise you can use them all you want.

What other forms of photo ID do you have?

Inkara1

If you have that, the expired driver's license and extension paper, a few major credit cards, and a note from your mother, maybe they'll let you through. :D

unclehobart

Just drive it.

Its only 10 hour days with 14 hours of dark and $700 in gas, 3 days each way, and nothing alive to look at along the way since everything is in hibernation.

Piece o cake.

kuulani

They gave a paper that was considered a valid driver's license last time. My question is though if I show up at the airport with an expired license with a picture and a valid paper license am I going to have any trouble?

My husband had his wallet stolen the day before we were supposed to fly interisland and he got a paper license issued by the police department and it worked for him.

Also, I have the idea that electronics are no longer allowed on the planes but my girlfriend thinks we can bring the laptop in carry on. I'm thinking we have to pack it in the non-carry on luggage.

For us flying interisland we have to carry on our laptop and take it out of its bag during the screening process. The procedure is probably the same for mainland airlines.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Just drive it.

Its only 10 hour days with 14 hours of dark and $700 in gas, 3 days each way, and nothing alive to look at along the way since everything is in hibernation.

Piece o cake.

LA-NY...40 hours...under 100MPH

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
DO NOT CHECK YOUR ELECTRONICS!

A guy I work with checked his digi-cam one time flying from Toronto to Halifax because his carry on was full and it got stolen sometime from the time he checked the bag to the time he claimed it...

2minkey

bootlicker
i NEVER check my laptop. i've never been in a situation where i was told it needed to be checked. and i fly about 50k miles/year. i'm surprised prof was asked to check his.

your expired driver's license stapled to the new slip showing renewal should be fine. i'd take the YMCA card too anyway.

i few months ago a colleague of mine left her license at home accidentally and after extensive beggin a pleading was allowed through security by her costco card, which has a small, shitty, b+w pic in the corner. i was very surprised they let her through.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Dare you to do that in a wyoming blizzard...

Damn near ran the fool truck driver, the one tailgating the plow & not using his emergency blinkers, off the road. Of course, it was only a 40MPH gale across WY that day.

spike

Wyoming is a little out of the way for an LA to NY trip. If I drove I'd probably take I-40.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
DO NOT CHECK YOUR ELECTRONICS!

A guy I work with checked his digi-cam one time flying from Toronto to Halifax because his carry on was full and it got stolen sometime from the time he checked the bag to the time he claimed it...

Sure it didn't end up here?

As most of you remember, my last job was 'mishandled baggage'. You'd be surprised on what people lose, or what gets mis-shipped, and is never claimed. I've seen DiMage cameras, iPod's (60GB), Playstations, Camcorders, cash (yes...cash), laptops, and even M-16's. Most I got back to their proper owners, but some just sat until I had to trash them. The most helpful advice I have is this. Make sure your bags have permanent ID's attached with your name, current address, and current phone number. Also put an ID tag inside the bag, in case the outside tag gets removed.

rrfield

Yeah, I make sure, at a minimum, that I stick a few business cards in my luggage just in case. Haven't had a problem yet, but I'm not exactly an international jetsetter.